Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by satire62, Aug 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son has Aspergers Syndrome although he is execeptionally high functioning, and if I never told anybody he had it they would never realise. He really wants to go into the army but lots of people have said he won't get in, is this right?
  2. Satire

Try this in the Medical forum - maybe a more sensible answer.
  3. Agreed, you might gat alittle flak here mate and that could be cruel.
  4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

lacked nonverbal communication skills, failed to demonstrate empathy with their peers, and were physically clumsy. Their way of speaking was either disjointed or overly formal, and their all-absorbing interest in a single topic dominated their conversations. Asperger called the condition “autistic psychopathy”

Sorry, but reading this, If your child fell easily into this catagory then in combat he would be a liablity to himself and others.

Soldier first, Trade second
  5. All dependant on how bad the condition is, i guess. Wouldn't fancy the kid having a relapse or anything.
  6. Your best bet is to give the Army careers office a call and ask them. Although there is a high chance they will say your son cannot join, I think it will entirely depend on how severe the condition is. I have worked with people and know soemone with Aspergers, and realise that this condition comes in varying degrees of severity.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

or call 0845 7300111 8)
  7. My son has aspergers, and although he would be unsuitable I know off a couple of aspys in the Marines and 1 in the RTR. I also know of 1 who was in the RMP but found the life too difficult. Best bet is to speak to the recruiters and see how he does on the BARBS test
  8. Anything to do with obscure medical conditions would have to go through the SMO at the ADSC anyway. All medicals are Medical in confidence so the Recruiter doesnt really have too much input anyway.
    I recommend that you go and speak to the ACIO and start the application procedure and get the RG8 Health Questionairre and put it through your GP. Book an appointment with your GP and get him to fill out the questionairre while you and your son can give input to the questins on the form and he hopefully give you feedback on his thoughts. Once you send the forms back the Recruiter doesnt see whats on the forms and sends it straght to the ADSC med sister who will pass it onto the SMO. If there are any problems or things need clarifying the SMO will refer it back to the GP and any consultants in your sons process.
    At least this way you will get it straight from the horses mouth about your sons chances/condition which is prefered by the med staff.
  9. hmmm, my son also has aspergers. As far as im aware, HMF bar entry if u have autism. Aspergers is an autisic spectrum disorder.

I think u'll find that answers ur question.