Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by craign, Jul 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gulp.

I seem to have hay fever.
  2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Slightly dusty in here.

3. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

It always makes me sad to hear about someone elses loved ones not coming back, and makes me think of mine so much more.

Its even harder still when you can see a bit of the real person they were, and are reminded again that its the good ones that we sadly lose.
  4. Fuck me craign, are you on your moons today - you trying to get everyone to break down?
  5. Listened to Jeremy Vine's show on the Light Programme just now over lunch - Very Moving 'article' about the letters soldiers leave behind 'to be opened upon my death'. Clearly not exactly a cheerful topic but they had a chap read out the letter written by a young Rifleman who was killed last month in Afghanistan, then interviewed his poor Mum.

Cyrus Thatcher was a 19 year old lad in 2 RIFLES. He wrote THE most beautiful letter to his parents - and they are very grateful that he'd written it.

I'm not sure what I want to say next.... but thought I had to 'say' something. I loathe over-sentimentality, but my eyes were somewhat on the prickly side and I nearly lost control of my chin!

Well done Cyrus. And it's something to bear in mind if you happen to be heading off to somewhere unpleasant........
  6. Seems like a young lad with a great sense of humour and a lot of maturity. A crying shame, but also a shining example of the pride and courage displayed by the young lads currently serving over there.

In some ways, I hope Brown reads this. In other ways, I don't think he deserves to.
  7. Thanks Father G, well spotted!
  8. :( both were sent to me today by friends. Nothing deliberate about it....
  9. I was listening to that myself and had to take myself out of the office for a few minutes to clear the head and eyes. The civvies in here haven't got a clue.

I just wish the cause was just and right enough to make the loss of such men and women at least more bearable.

My son wants to go in when he's old enough and I'm caught between encouraging and supporting him and the fear that if he went and something happened to him, how I would ever be able to look in the mirror or my wife's eyes again. Prayers to all the fallen and wounded's parents, colleagues and families.

10. No worries. Thought it'd be useful for people to read the letters you're talking about. You're right, they are very moving.
  11. I'm normally a big fan of the traditional stiff upper lip but I have to admit I've just read Cyrus' letter and I'm burbling like a burst arrse. His family can be justifiably proud of him. What a man.
  12. smiled a lot at his first letters, cried a lot at his last, his parents are undoubtedly very proud of him,
  13. Heroic young man, family must be proud of you. Lots of swallowing and scratching at eyes at lunchtime today.

Sorry, just adding "this is the youth of today", not the chav scum on the sink estates.