Hello, hello, hello! What medals are these, then?

Hello lads and lasses,

I was recently watching Hot Fuzz again and I noticed chief.jpg that the lovely Bill Nighy (center, acting as the Met Chief Inspector) was sporting a nice batch of medals. I managed to identify the middle two as the Queen's Silver and Golden Jubilee Medals respectively, and the one on the right end as what appears to be the Police Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

(Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia if you'd like a refresher)

I'm absolutely stumped as to what the red/white medal on the very left with the highest priority is supposed to be. It appears to resemble the Army Long Service and Good Conduct medal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Service_and_Good_Conduct_Medal)but of course the location does not make sense, any hand-waving to explain why the head of the met police force having an Army long service medal aside.

Anybody who can show me the light and what a bit of an idiot I am? Cheers!

Probably the lighting that makes it look red with white ends. More than likely pink with pale grey (oyster) ends so, as Speedy says, one of the British Empire awards.

He's a PARA walt in training - note the tendancy for the cap badge to move toward the left ear? It'll be all the way across by the time the sequel comes out.

Hello lads and lasses,

I was recently watching Hot Fuzz again and I noticed View attachment 85140 that the lovely Bill Nighy (center, acting as the Met Chief Inspector) was sporting a nice batch of medals. I managed to identify the middle two as the Queen's Silver and Golden Jubilee Medals respectively, and the one on the right end as what appears to be the Police Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

(Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia if you'd like a refresher)

I'm absolutely stumped as to what the red/white medal on the very left with the highest priority is supposed to be. It appears to resemble the Army Long Service and Good Conduct medal (Long Service and Good Conduct Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)but of course the location does not make sense, any hand-waving to explain why the head of the met police force having an Army long service medal aside.

I'll give it a go... Those are "costume medals" rather like costume jewellery. Just there for appearances sake, not to be taken too seriously. Ok? do you have it now?

I'll give it a go... Those are "costume medals" rather like costume jewellery. Just there for appearances sake, not to be taken too seriously. Ok? do you have it now?
So he's a pretend copper then, a bit like a PCSO?

Sort of a pretend copper, but it's just a bit more complicated than that. As an actor he has to use his subtle powers ("the force") to get YOU the viewer to pretend that he's a copper. Do you see? little extras, such as those medals help the illusion. Rather like when a hypnotist swings the watch when actually it's the voice (and the force) that does the trick.

Hello lads and lasses,

I was recently watching Hot Fuzz again and I noticed View attachment 85140 that the lovely Bill Nighy (center, acting as the Met Chief Inspector) was sporting a nice batch of medals. I managed to identify the middle two as the Queen's Silver and Golden Jubilee Medals respectively, and the one on the right end as what appears to be the Police Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

I'm absolutely stumped as to what the red/white medal on the very left with the highest priority is supposed to be. It appears to resemble the Army Long Service and Good Conduct medal (Long Service and Good Conduct Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)but of course the location does not make sense, any hand-waving to explain why the head of the met police force having an Army long service medal aside.

This is the light

You need to get out more!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Officers 19
E Army Reserve 24
E Lonely Hearts 13