Hello, and is it worth it if ...

What makes you think you would be taken on at 3 years
Previous conversations with recruitment, though obviously they are less forthcoming about ageism when it comes to applicants cutting it close on age requirement. What I was told is that they'd be very interested in me at 45 (in three years). Then there's the difference between what I've been told and reality, which is why I'm asking you lot for advice.

Previous conversations with recruitment, though obviously they are less forthcoming about ageism when it comes to applicants cutting it close on age requirement. What I was told is that they'd be very interested in me at 45 (in three years). Then there's the difference between what I've been told and reality, which is why I'm asking you lot for advice.
You take a big risk here,What happens if you come to the UK and don''t get in,
have you a back up plan?
Edit== Why do you want to join the RAF at your age, just interested

Why not ask RAF recruitment instead. That's what a potential officer would do.

Were you speaking to Capita or RAF?

You take a big risk here,What happens if you come to the UK and don''t get in,
have you a back up plan?
Edit== Why do you want to join the RAF at your age, just interested
I have two interviews with the prison service lined, but only as a stop gap to enlistment though. There are other Civil Service jobs I'm confident I could do too.

EDIT= I have been working in wilderness education for ten years, largely with kids, veterans, and people with dealing with trauma. I am however tired of the US and would like to continue this work in the UK so I can at least offer something to people from my own country.

I applied to join the RAF in 2000. I was accepted into university at the same time and chose to do my degree (recruiter failed to make it clear that the RAF would put me through it).

I then applied for another civil service job (for which I did not have the experience) and went overseas to work for a while to gain said experience.

Then I got lost on my way home and have regretted it ever since, I only recently discovered that the RAF had upped their age limit and decided its now or absolutely never.

Last edited:
I have two interviews with the prison service lined, but only as a stop gap to enlistment though.

EDIT= I have been working in wilderness education for ten years, largely with kids, veterans, and people with dealing with trauma. I am however tired of the US and would like to continue this work in the UK so I can at least offer something to people from my own country.

I applied to join the RAF in 2000. I was accepted into university at the same time and chose to do my degree (recruiter failed to make it clear that the RAF would put me through it).

I then applied for another civil service job (for which I did not have the experience) and went overseas to work for a while to gain said experience.

Then I got lost on my way home and have regretted it ever since, I only recently discovered that the RAF had upped their age limit and decided its now or absolutely never.
The trouble is with the RAF, a bit of a delay and you dip out
what they tell now and what happens when you get here could lead to very different endings
would you not be better to go for something without a age/ time limit

The trouble is with the RAF, a bit of a delay and you dip out
what they tell now and what happens when you get here could lead to very different endings
would you not be better to go for something without a age/ time limit
Yes I'm aware of that which is why I sought other opinions. What jobs have no age limit or time limit? Ageism is illegal but it is practiced.

I think they were already made to feel bad and left.
Do you think that's an attitude in a very low stress environment a recruiter would look favourably on in someone seeking to develop training programs for fast air pilots?

Lets say 45 when you start, time at Cranwell plus (I would assume) some form of other training. Lets be generous and say 46 if/when you have a real job. You're very highly unlikely to get to serve beyond age 55, what would you do then?