hello and considering joining 7 Scots or Signals in Aberdeen

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Bottle, Jan 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all

I'm in my mid-twenties and i'm looking for some advice. I would like to know which Unit would offer me the best opportunities. I am drawn to the Infantry due to the high level of fitness and the 'brotherhood' it (supposedly) has.
    What i need to know is which unit could offer me the most interesting role? I have read through the threads here and TA Signals seems to be alot of sitting in a tent and not doing alot. Which puts me off
    Would i get any kind of civilian qualifications through the Signals?
    Does 7 Scots put people through Sniper training?
    any further information would be appreciated guys, especially from members of either Unit

2. You'll not get on a sniper course with 7 SCOTS. I don't think there are TA sniper courses any more. I'd say 7 SCOTS would be more interesting though it depends if you like infantry work. I used to when I was younger. Lots of military quals can be transferred to civvy equivalent (for a fee).

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm sure they would let you try it and see if you enjoy it. Best thing to do is pop down and see the lads down at the units.

4. B Coy 7 Scots are your best bet in town. The signals were recently reduced to a troop and I don't know what their role is anymore. There was word on the street ( I know a lot of the Guys) that the sniper/sharpshooter Platoon was going to be reformed within B Coy, Keith Platoon formed the original sharpshooter sub unit, they were all farmers and gamekeepers! Give them a call.

5. sniper/sharpshooter sounds good! i'll give them a bell on tuesday mate. Thanks

6. B Coy 7 Scots will give you better opportunities out of the two. The Sigs look rather quiet these days, the sharpshooter role may come back to one of the Pltn's in B Coy as said but even if that doesn't happen you're still in the right area to learn key skills.
    B Coy has just started a big recruitment drive so give the TAC a call and organise a visit!

7. Errr...just out of idle curiosity what the hell was 7 Scots back when they had proper regiments north of the Tweed? If there ever was grounds for mutiny it was when Labour amalgamated the Highland Brigade into a single regiment. Not that I blame the Jocks, we Canucks should have done the same in Feb 1968.

8. Just turn up on day one wearing your sniper badge....and any others you may fancy, it's only TA after all!

9. Pop along to 7 Scots nice bunch the sniper/sharpshooter thing was taken away in 2006. Shame really as the course is good, provided you avoid tripping over railway lines.

51st Highland, 7th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland

51st Highland Regiment

3rd (Volunteer) Battalion, The Black Watch
    3rd (Volunteer) Battalion, The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons)
    7/8th (Volunteer) Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

1st Battalion, 51st Highland Volunteers
    2nd Battalion, 51st Highland Volunteers
    3rd Battalion, 51st Highland Volunteers

51st Highland Volunteers (TAVR II and III)

6/7th Battalion, The Black Watch
    4th/5th Battalion, The Black Watch
    1st Battalion, The Liverpool Scottish
    11th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders
    4th/5th Battalion, The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders
    1st Battalion, The London Scottish
    3rd Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders
    7th and 8th Battalions, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

10. It depends on what your interests are. If you're a bit of a geek then the Signals would be right up your ally. If you're after the physical training then Infantry would suit you. Within both you can work your way up and once you get your first stripe (Lcpl) you can go off and get some training courses done, for example Endurance Leader Training, PTI, Map reading or Mountain Leaders.