Helicopter Wars

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by jonwilly, Aug 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have just had a new series on the National Geographic Channel, Helicopter Wars.
    They are said to be four episodes and first covered a Yank Huey crew in Nam 1967.
    Very well made IMO, unlike some of the other 'Documentary' I have seen.
    The introduction to Helis could be used at Wallop to introduce aircrew and techs to the basics.
    Two crews rescue over 100 SF infantry from a jungle clearing under fire from a regular NV battalion.
    Not much Bull, you can do a little fault finding but I say again a high standard Prog.
    They dropped down through Bamboo and really reduced the top and bottom blade surfaces down to the honeycombe.
    Three of the aircrew received the Airforce Cross.
    The senior pilot punched his Sqn commander who bollacked him for risking his unarmed VIP aircraft , he says the OC pushed him! All most AAC standard.
    Four vets who came across as mature men who grew up right, unlike the so many ex Peace Corps Volunteers we get out here.
    People who have been there against folk who do not remember the 60's, I will suggest.
    I am looking forward to next three.
    One features a TOW Lynx and a medical Blackhawk is in third, fourth ?
    john

2. Nat Geo is claiming it as new but are the series came out a couple of months ago on another channel.

Some very good programmes.

3. Thanks, John. They were shown over here sometime ago on Ch5(I think). Some impressive stuff, especially the Blackhawk crew in Afghanistan.

4. I was very impressed by the 'Old Lads' and the movies they made in Nam all those years ago.
    Looking forward to next three episodes.
    Trust they are to the high standard set.
    john
    Luv & Kiss to the Rozzers.

5. Just had our last of 4 episode on Helicopter Wars.
    Still think the 1st on the Huey in Nam was best but all where well made.
    2nd was the Navy down the Falklands West Georgia, very good on the rescue of the SAS.
    The 3rd was the Blackhawk in Ganistan. I must admit I still have problems believing how close he landed to the Wall & trees behind his Tail rotor of a night but not for me to argue with a very brave man.
    The 4th was on last night and we had 847 Sqn RN (RM ?).
    Hum well they certainly got the message across on the Lynx's poor lifting capacity in Hot climate but when you have only the one Anti Tank Heli between the advancing Marines and Saddam's massed T54's a mans got to do, for sure.
    The Air burst rounds from the T 54 where new to me and it was good to see the Lynx victorious over the T 54 which was coming out of a school shooting and then getting back inside where the Heli would have problems over targeting and conscience.
    The first TOW misses, after one air burst round almost has the Lynx but by dashing in The RM S/Sgt Pilot got the Gunner a Lt/Commander in the right position for their second and only TOW Hittiel.
    Job Well done and the Sqn got 43 further high value targets around Basra.
    john
    I know the Crabs have whole Sqns of PR, that's Public Relations, now I suspect from the series that the Navy probably has at least one boat load on PR.
    Also explains to little old me why the Army has bought Navy Heli's when proper Army Battlefield Heli have been available for very cheap prices.

6. I saw the one when the Lynx and Gazelle were taking incoming from a tank in Basra. I enjoyed it.

7. 847 is an RN sqn, however it was formed from 3 BAS so was predominantley manned by RM. Jim newton and Derby Allen were the crew on that day, although I cannot remember who the DG was. The Lynx worked Ok for the first week or so but once the temps started to climb we struggled. We were initially carrying 4 TOW with 4000 7.62 for the GPMG but soon reduced this to 2 TOW once we were based closer to the front.

Jim's book "Armed Action" is quite a good read.

8. I agree, the book is very good. As ex inf I have to admit that for transport we preferred RN helos, then AAC (sorry lads) then Crab Air - but only because there wasn't any other choice!

9. Just ordered "Armed Action" from ABE Books
    Ta Much
    john

10. I spent quite a few yrs with the AAC on attachment, All 3 services did pretty well, biggest probs for the RAF were their rules. The Wessex guys were very good. I always had difficulties trying to explain to "Buzzard" why the 3 services all had different limits..

11. No need to apologise - frankly, the Sea King crews in the Emerald Toilet flew in conditions I wouldn't walk the dog in.

12. It's the crabs who should do the apologizing. :wink:

13. Navy regs allowed them to, they could fly Clear of cloud in sight of the surface. (they forgot the 1k bit!). The Army had 1k 300' day and 2k 700' night. RAF had something else.

14. Or, as was once suggested; "I can see 500 meters out of the right window, and 500 meters out of the left window, so that makes 1K".

15. Neckerchiefs.

Or in some cases cravates.