Helicopter used in Bin Laden assault

There is a link To the past ..3 decades ago with a modified EH-60A Quick Fix II modified again for EW purposes.

A34AD65F-6434-430D-AE9B-4EC52490E452.jpeg

Slightly digressing Around 2 decades ago, there were 4 x EH-60A assigned to 12th Aviation Brigade , in Germany. They had Been there since late 80s and couple were assigned To the then 3rd ACR ...based at then Feucht AAF with the Red Catchers , watching border. Feucht closed in late 90s and turned into industrial park. Laughingly the ATC tower kept and one hangar and everywhere built up with warehouses and truck park.

Anyhow EH-60A was withdrawn from US Army service as previously they were assigned to platoon level with aviation brigades.

Before the EH-60A was the EH-1H Quick Fix 1 ...both Quick Fix I and II had the SOTAS Stand Off Target Acquisition System underneath.

Anyhow back on topic ....so with this pic, anyones Guess where it could be taken ..some folk point towards likes of Tonopah Test Range Airport (at time shadows F-117A, and secret Migs of REd Hats / Red Eagles etc) and Groom Lake.

But I beg to differ looking at background , the terrain and mountains Don’t resemble likes of Tikaboo Peak , and mountains around Groom Lake ..nor do they seem to be like Tonopah Test Range...nor Edwards. At a hunch I would like to say Libby AAF at Fort Huachuca because it is not mega mountainous and it’s where army trains it’s Aerial Exploitation Crews - EH-1, EH-60, RU-21, RC-12, OV-1...etc...

cheers

tgo

War Hero
Helicopters (outside of fiction) tend to be incredibly noisy, just how stealthy is a 'stealth' one?

As a former radar operator - I've never heard of anything described as 'Stealth' that had flown within airspace I was covering - and I had not seen it. Often - not "pushing to datalink" so as not to cause embarasment. NAG is one main example.
Of course- there could be multiple cases where none of us saw anything...

I know of many cases where "investigate routine" went down the "nothing to see here route though....and was just tracked locally.

Helicopters (outside of fiction) tend to be incredibly noisy, just how stealthy is a 'stealth' one?

*wah shield up*...

Looking at the pictures, the stealth aspect seems to be aimed at reducing radar signature. Things like rotor heads – comprising of lots of odd-shaped metal bits whizzing around – tend to be quite sparkly at those wavelengths.

As a former radar operator - I've never heard of anything described as 'Stealth' that had flown within airspace I was covering - and I had not seen it. Often - not "pushing to datalink" so as not to cause embarasment. NAG is one main example.
Of course- there could be multiple cases where none of us saw anything...

I know of many cases where "investigate routine" went down the "nothing to see here route though....and was just tracked locally.
You don't actually know of course as you say. Were the LO a/c you saw on operational mission flight plans without Luneburg lenses/reflectors fitted is the Q?

LO doesn't mean you're invisible, just harder to detect and get a firing solution on.

You don't actually know of course as you say. Were the LO a/c you saw on operational mission flight plans without Luneburg lenses/reflectors fitted is the Q?

LO doesn't mean you're invisible, just harder to detect and get a firing solution on.
Edited and then deleted. I think poss breach of opsec. I have know idea what their config was. I saw their target location though...and return.

NSP

LE
*wah shield up*...

Looking at the pictures, the stealth aspect seems to be aimed at reducing radar signature. Things like rotor heads – comprising of lots of odd-shaped metal bits whizzing around – tend to be quite sparkly at those wavelengths.
Rotors are a bastard. I'm going back to a "simple" lecture to a room full of spotty Spacey's here, but the gist was you've a spinning disk of flexing, pitch-changing (think about how a rotor works out of the hover), radar-reflective surfaces as well as the noise. This is why heli' operators developed nap-of-the-earth flight profiles; terrain hides from radar. It also mitigates noise. For example; the cranked cross-angle of the blades on an AH-64 tail-rotor is to mitigate noise, not radar signature. Hiding behind radar-impenatrable media such as hills, forests and city blocks and fitting as much RAM as possible is how you make a heli' stealthy, electronically

Rotors are a bastard. I'm going back to a "simple" lecture to a room full of spotty Spacey's here, but the gist was you've a spinning disk of flexing, pitch-changing (think about how a rotor works out of the hover), radar-reflective surfaces as well as the noise. This is why heli' operators developed nap-of-the-earth flight profiles; terrain hides from radar. It also mitigates noise. For example; the cranked cross-angle of the blades on an AH-64 tail-rotor is to mitigate noise, not radar signature. Hiding behind radar-impenatrable media such as hills, forests and city blocks and fitting as much RAM as possible is how you make a heli' stealthy, electronically
The yanks certainly fielded something in the raid, unless it was a fake, that appeared to be about either LO or sound suppression?

Latest Threads