Helicopter used in Bin Laden assault

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ghost_us, May 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this was done already but searched and found nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, so I was looking at this today and thought to myself, since when does a "blackhawk" have 5-6 tail rotor blades with some sort of "stealth" plate on it? The tail is also very very different. Knowing a little bit about helos I understand that the slower the tail and main rotor's the "quieter" it is.

The other half:

[​IMG]

Now, I am certain that those that know what it is won't really say but what's the rumor?

And whose got China as the recipient of the tail parts that are intact in the pool?

2. I suppose there's an outside chance that the Pakistanis might play nice and give it back; or be easily enough bribed into returning it.

On the whole, though, I'd guess the Chinese. They'll want a real one to compare to the plans they no doubt already have.

3. Would you really want to build a copy of a plane that crashed?

4. Reminds me of a story that our Technical Drawing teacher told us at school (circa 1966). He said that around the time of the First World War, John Brown's shipyard was fed up with the Japanese who were stealing all their best ship designs. So they designed a ship with a big hole under the funnel. Sure enough, the plan was copied and when the ship was launched in Japan, it immediately sank. I don't suppose any teacher would stay in his job for long if he told stories like that now.

5. The Japanese were an ally in WWI and John Brown's built quite a few ships for the japs

6. Supermarine Spitfire Prototype K5054 crashed, pilot was killed......

7. It's the tail rotor assembly for a UH-60 Blackhawk.

8. The operative word there is prototype....not one that is already "proved" and on a "secret mission".

9. That stealth technology really is something, I mean just listen to those photos, I couldn't hear a thing.

10. It's even worse than that a number of British arms companies had massive investments in the Japanese arms industry even during WW2. There were even rumours that Jiro Horikoshi got his Ideas for the design of the Mitsubishi A6M Zero from a cancelled Gloster aircraft, read "The Arms Bazaar" by Anthony Sampson some "British " Bankers, Financiers and Lords of Industry, should have been hung for treason

11. The tungsten much favoured by Krupp for use when fighring the Royal Navy came from a small mine in Cumberland.
    Best in the world apparently, the Germans even had a big shareholding in the mine to ensure their supply

Nothing new in commercial interest taking precedence over the national interest

12. That would be why Emperor Hirohito was a British Field Marshall throughout WW2 and continued to draw the pension until his death in 1989, just as the SDR was reviewing the number of Field Marshalls on the books, for an army which doesn't now qualify for one.

13. Rayc

Rayc RIP

China has asked Pakistan to hand it over to them.... whatever that remains!