Helicopter Tuition - Southern England

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hi bold Sky Gods,(woof!)

Family birthday upcoming . I want to buy someone a Helicopter Basic training Flight.
( current fixed wing pilot, never flown rotary wing)

Looking for a flying training school in Southern England that DOESN'T use Robinsons as the ab initio traing ac.

Does Middle Wallop offer civil pilots any scope - or is it purely Mil ?

Suggestions on a postcard most welcome.

Thank you.

Don Cabra

Prices are scary, when the missus took lessons it was £80 an hour!!!!
She had to give up a few years back as it became unaffordable.
Missus ended up with 400 hours mostly on Robinson R22's and survived!!!!!

Last edited:
Sought the same, still ended up in an R22 at Ashford. Book a single, two hour, session to get the max airtime, no briefing needed during hour two. Had the impression the necessary 20-30 minute briefing was s-l-o-w-e-d to reduce airtime costs, could have been done just as properly but quicker.

G4Star

Old-Salt
Redhill Aerodrome might be your best choice with EBG Helicopters - based Hanger 1 operate the Cabri G2, Robinson R22 & R44 helicopters together with a Eurocopter EC120. Fairoaks/Blackbush seem only to do fixed wing.

Cabri G2
1635253792115.jpeg

Why the dislike of the Robinson Airframe?

Last edited:
I did a flight at Denham airfield when I was 50. It’s a while back now because I’ve just turned 66.

It was also in a 2 seater Robinson but the helicopter was fine. I was in control very quickly because of my experience of being a passenger so many times years before in South Armagh when I was in the mob.

I don’t know what aircraft they use these days but I’m pretty sure there is still a flight school there. It’s a few miles north of Uxbridge on the periphery of West London.

Might be worth an inquiry just to see what the score is these days?!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Redhill Aerodrome might be your best choice with EBG Helicopters - based Hanger 1 operate the Cabri G2, Robinson R22 & R44 helicopters together with a Eurocopter EC120. Fairoaks/Blackbush seem only to do fixed wing.

Why the dislike of the Robinson Airframe?
Superstition

I flew from Blackbushe last week, led to believe they teach on Robinson R-22.