Helicopter Search and Rescue

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by lewiscollins, Jun 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just reading through the list of cuts to expenditure by the new govt when I saw that the new Search and Rescue project planned cost was £4.6 BILLION!

WTF?

2. Done earlier today.....somewhere.

3. One paper put it at £7 billion. Great value for money - yet another RAF PFI jobs for the boys scheme!

4. SAR will be privatised, so if you get in trouble on the mountains or out to sea REMEMBER to take your credit card, and only get into trouble during normal working hours.

CG

5. Actually, the whole point of binning this PFI is that it is too expensive to privatise.

6. Is Wills getting the tin tack then?

7. Exactly,
    Every mountain rescue team is a self funding charity, and everyone works for free, long may it remain so.
    In addition MR teams also work with air ambulance and police helos as well as Raf, Navy and Army helos.

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Some of the MR teams in Scotland are staffed by volenteer RAF & RN personel.One of my old Snec's at Kinloss was on the one based there.

9. Privatise SAR and give the contract to flashy!

Get rescued and have your life saved...and get your "horoscope read" and be quite rightfully called a cnut at the same time!

People would probably think twice about undertaking round the world jaunts on a toaster etc as well.

10. Rotary SAR is provided by the RAF and RN in the UK. Neither service wanted PFI. :roll:

Regards,
    MM

11. Rotary SAR is provided by RN, RAF and also by Coastguard. The Coastguard element is already PFI/contractor furnished.

The S92s are sexy beasts...

12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The point being that the closure of the RN Air Stations at Portland and Lee removed the need for RN SAR cover for flyers from those airfields. As stated above the RN & RAF provide SAR for their own people. Civvies are there to practice on. I don't see why, as a taxpayer, I should be providing anything extra for recreational sailors unless the full cost of rescuing them from their own stupidity becomes a recoverable civil debt. But then I find the whole yo-ho-ho and a bottle of Campari scene risible.

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Do you mean that nobody has thought to use the search facility to search for the search and rescue thread?

14. You mean Yachties? I dislike it when the media calls them sailors. But what about merchant seaman or fishermen, who work at sea?

Isn't there a need for the carriers, both current and future, to have a SAR capability? Will this be another role for the embarked Merlins, or will Lynx (Wildcat?) be embarked as a ship's flight - not unlike what is described here?

The RN does SAR worldwide. Does 771 NAS provide the training?

15. having watched the tiny AW139 rescue a guy with a broken leg on the cliffs in dorset last summer I can see why the unit is not suitable for 24 hour operation and this was the proposal to replace the Sea Kings from 22 Sqdrn and 771
    The operation of this bird would leave very serious holes in the rescue cover between cornwall and anglesey and make a dangerous coast even more lifetaking as the time it would take a bird to get from either valley or newquay would often be too late to take effect in daylight hours and then wheres the cover at night

so lets hope the PFI idea left over from the CND(labour) party is never resurrected or any users of the sea are Donald Ducked!