Helicopter Flies on Mars

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fruit fries like a banana.

Obvious question, how did they overcome the time delay involved?
they sent the entire flight program in advance, there's no direct remote control, once programmed it then flies to that program autonomously..... but it's just been destroyed by a death ray from a tripod.

they sent the entire flight program in advance, there's no direct remote control, once programmed it then flies to that program autonomously..... but it's just been destroyed by a death ray from a tripod.
A death ray indeed. Pfft.

1618844106536.png

No matter what anyone says, this is bloody clever stuff.

At a cost of around 80 million dollars it should be. I agree with you though, this is very clever stuff.

At a cost of around 80 million dollars it should be. I agree with you though, this is very clever stuff.

One of the so-called science reporters on the lunch time news was saying that they didn't know if it would work. I'm pretty sure if they were that uncertain it wouldn't have been on the mission.

Interestingly, part of the point was to demonstrate using bog standard electronics rather than special radiation hardened, aerospace rated stuff. Ingenuity is built around a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 system on chip, aka what you got in a flagship Android phone from 2016. This gave them a lot more processing power, an easier programming model, and integrated accelerometers, camera, and WiFi for the link back to Perseverance, for much less £.

(I suspect it might actually be a Snapdragon Flight Pro, a variant of the 820 specifically tweaked for UAVs, but it is an 820 at heart)

Jacl

Clanker
I reckon that the most difficult bit was getting Perseverance to softly land on Mars, that's the part that always gets everyone nervous, the rest was relatively straight forward.
Nice to see it work anyway.

I reckon that the most difficult bit was getting Perseverance to softly land on Mars, that's the part that always gets everyone nervous, the rest was relatively straight forward.
Nice to see it work anyway.
Mars is a challenge because of the thin atmosphere. I'm old enough to remember Viking 1 and 2. They were essentially sky-cranes with legs, sensors and nothing to lower. The airbag approach was clever but can't deliver a payload the mass of the last couple or rovers.

philc

LE
In other news some bint has flashed her gash and is getting a gazillionon YouTube Instergram hits or what ever.

Fly a helicopter on mars remotely is the dogs.

Latest Threads