Helicopter Crash in Spain story by Sir William of Bullshitshire

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by iPadPlodding, Apr 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Long story so i'll try to abridge it,

WW2 vet friend of mine has been befriended by a bloke who claims to be ex forces. He's giving him the old stories of how he was involved in a helicopter crash in Spain whilst based in Gibraltar and he was the only survivor. He also claims to have been involved in a raid in Vietnam with the Brit forces.

Anyone heard any stories like this? Any truth to it?

Cheers

2. No.......and no!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. You sure it wasn't Chile, they speak Spanish there? :- "On 17 May 1982 a Sea King HC4 landed at Punta Arenas, Chile, and was subsequently destroyed by its crew before they surrendered to Chilean authorities. The crew were returned to Britain and received gallantry awards for the numerous dangerous missions that they had undertaken. Officially, the situation was caused by navigation difficulties, however it has been speculated that the helicopter was on an insertion mission on the Argentine mainland, similar to the planned Operation Mikado " ;-)

4. Thought so.

No, this bloke is trying to pass himself off as the lone survivor I did think about the Chile Op but he's defo saying it was out in Spain!!!!!! I'm just worried that he's trying to worm his was in so he can fleece the old fella out of his pension.

cheers for the replies

5. There were some of "them" in Vietnam, working alongside their New Zealand / Australian squadrons.

6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

There's a massive thread on Brits in Vietnam somewhere but the bottom line seems to be that anyone claiming to have served there, unless they were Ghurkas protecting the British Embassy, is probably lying. As Outstanding says there were one or two on attachement/transfer to ANZAC SF but if this bloke is claiming a covert British raid in strength then he's definitely lying.

7. Yes, there is.

8. I would say you are right to worry.

9. As stated earlier the only British forces in 'Nam were a few members of the SAS working with their Aus/NZ colleagues.