Heli Handlers Course

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by jase2472, Jan 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. whilst i was in the Regs I did the above course does anyone know if it is available to TA and where and when the course run,
    i am ready for the bone 49 Regt etc answers so fire away :roll:
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It depends at what level you mean. Heli Handling Instructor (HHI) is for officers and SNCOs only, and is run at JATEU. You can get on it from the TA but only if you are an in date RM and LPC and are very lucky - it is always over subscribed.

Rigger marshaller and landing point commander are often run in unit by HHIs - you need to have access to HUSLE, the APs and the ability to lift live loads.

Try your brigade trg team, if there is enough interest they may be able to bid for JHSU or someone to run a cadre for you.

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Great course, mind you the accom in Brize is coming under flak :roll: .

If you have already done it why would you do it again :?
  4. Because if you don't do it every so often your qual expires...
  5. The qualification only lasts for 5 years and you only remain in date for that time if you are validated annually (unless you are an HHI(S))

Even HHI(S) have to re-qualify at JATEU every 5 years.
  6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Cheers, glad the air ambulance didn't know that when I bought him in last month.
  7. Did mine at RAF Odiham in 1990 so i might be out of date :? :wink:
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Just a touch mate! Did mine in 1998, and used it regularly since. I went beyond the 5 year mark, and did not refresh before it expired. I would have to do RM and LPC again before I could go back to do HHI. I ended up planning and coordinating the training, but using an in date HHI to conduct with me assisting. I would not use it regularly enough now to make it worth the effort to requalify.
  9. Brigade STT's run LPC/Rigger Marshals for TA, did my LPC in November (51 Bde).
    TA have to be up to speed as LPC and be qualled on MLH before they can get to Brize for HHI (TA LPC/RM get to play with Gazelle on the course).

Most Brigades run a TA Heli handling Ex during the summer and get to play with Puma, Merlin, Chinook etc. When going to Brize there is a passing in test to pass. So Speak to Bde HHI team before going.
  10. Speak to 6 Regiment AAC (V) in Bury St Edmunds, they run RM course quite often for there own personnel and would probably be able to help out.
  11. Was thinking of doing the same but if someone like yourself can't keep current, what can the rest of us expect

Was RM, didn't use the qual ever (expired a year later)
    Was also LPC, did brief two chalks but expired a year later.

Good course but its principal role is retention not use of qualification
  12. 6 Regt are running an internal RM course this weekend. Whether you can smooth-talk your way onto it might be another thing...

Oh, you didn't hear it from me.
  13. The next one from 6 Regt is a weekend in June, seriously, speak to them Im confident they can help out!!!!!!