Heli downdraught causes mine blasts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Filbert Fox, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Troops on the ground say yes, MoD in London say no:

Afghan mine blasts

I know who I believe!

2. Extremely unfortunate. It's a back-of-the-envelope sum to work out if the force exerted is enough to set off a mine like that. Best wishes to the injured and their families.

3. I thought it was a given that the downdraught from large helicopters can cause mines to detonate. No wonder the lads are turning to the press to get the facts out into public view when the MOD try and cover everything up

4. C'mon MoD, fess up. I'm also feeling for the Chinook crew as well.

5. The MOD are civill servants and polititions, straight speaking and telling the truth is beyond them.

This is all because we've scrimped on air cover in afghan.

6. If I read the report correctly it stated that it was specifically requested that a Chinook not be used. Perhaps someone in control of Air Assets knew better? :evil:

7. The problem is not only the Chinook downdraught directly in mined areas, but also indirectly as the downdraught makes the existing 'Litter' scatter around and may detonate a few.

However, I also feel for the pilots, I'm sure it wasn't their intention to cause this tragedy.

Someone once told me that the word 'Chinook' is an American Indian word meaning "Wind that comes down from the mountain", can anyone shed some light?

8. Yes. The Chinook is a föhn/katabatic wind that's caused when dry air passes over high terrain and flows down hill on the lea side warming as it's compressed by the topographic profile. Common in mountainous regions like the Alps.

I'll get my coat.

9. I don't think anyone, not even the paras themselves would blame the pilots, seems to me they were put at risk too.

10. Too true!

11. CT
    Thanks for that, I'm checking my dictionary!

12. You do realise of course, that Sky News is simply regurgitating a Sun article!!!! Whilst not saying it isn't a possibility - please remember that the Sun lies more than the ubiquitous NAAFI watch.

Further, the article says "Cpl Wright's commanding officer said he had died trying to save a comrade who had been injured in an earlier blast."

Does this mean that Tootal is deliberately lying about the death of one of his men - I would have thought that Major Loden would have whinged about this death when He sent his emails.

Again - I don't write off the possibility that the story is correct, but there is more than a little doubt in this jurors mind at the moment

13. Gentlemen . We do not know what happened, and it is not going to be helpful to specualte on what did happen.

Thread closed.

Regards

PTP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.