Heinz close HP sauce factory

B

Biscuits_AB

Bloody shame. How will a nation who put 'chocolate sprinkles' on just about everything, appreciate the sauce that is brown.

I hope you got that from a reliable sauce.

On the bright side, I am looking forward to extra "special" ingredients and a good dutch logo should be interesting.

HH

I would imagine the only ones who actually notice will be the poor sods who have lost their jobs.

B

Biscuits_AB

With the joking aside, it's a bloody shame that there will be families now wondering what the future holds. Why the move? Are the Dutch now considered cheap labour? I can't remember there being a market for brown sauce on the Continent.

HP Sauce and Worcesteresterestershire Sauce are readily available in Dutch/German supermarkets and I would imagine without doing long and boring research that an existing factory in NL will just be throwing out another line as in HP Sauce.

Spam is no longer produced in the UK (no complaints there), Burberry is trying to body swerve and now HP Sauce.

As I said the only ones who will actually notice are those losing their jobs and this is just a symptom of globalization. Black and Decker moved their operations from Germany to the NE of England so there are winners as well as losers.

But I'm sure that's no comfort to those in the HP sauce factory.

I believe they are combining it with one of there other production lines in NL. Sauce will still be the same just made elsewhere. Sadly for those workers the nature of modern business.

B

Biscuits_AB

mistersoft said:
HP Sauce and Worcesteresterestershire Sauce are readily available in Dutch/German supermarkets and I would imagine without doing long and boring research that an existing factory in NL will just be throwing out another line as in HP Sauce.

Spam is no longer produced in the UK (no complaints there), Burberry is trying to body swerve and now HP Sauce.

As I said the only ones who will actually notice are those losing their jobs and this is just a symptom of globalization. Black and Decker moved their operations from Germany to the NE of England so there are winners as well as losers.

I feel that you should do some boring research into this, if only to provide a some statistics. You are very well aware that here on ARRSE, no one believes a word unless there is statistical evidence to support it.

I for one shall not be purchasing HP sauce / Terry Oranges / Dyson Vacuums etc.

A small protest but if enough of us used consumer power, companies may think twice before betraying their workforce.

Biscuits_AB said:
mistersoft said:

I feel that you should do some boring research into this, if only to provide a some statistics. You are very well aware that here on ARRSE, no one believes a word unless there is statistical evidence to support it.
All in Dutch but it confirms that HP Sauce will be produced at the factory at Elst where they already chuck out Heinz Tomato Sauce for the whole of Europe.

Engelse HP-sauce naar Nederland
Door FRANKA HUMMELS

LONDEN - Bijna net zo Engels als fish and chips: slappe frites met een flinke scheut bruine HP-sauce.

Hier gruwen we bij de gedachte, maar aan de andere kant van het Kanaal bestaat een diepe liefde voor deze oer-Engelse saus. Maar de liefde wordt wreed verstoord. Want als het aan moederbedrijf Heinz ligt, verhuist de legendarische azijnsaus met fruitsmaak binnenkort van Birmingham naar het Gelderse Elst.

Daar wordt de Heinz-ketchup voor heel Europa al gemaakt.

De fabriek is veel moderner dan die in Birmingham en heeft een lichte overcapaciteit, daarom willen de Amerikaanse bazen de productie verplaatsen.

De 125 werknemers uit Birmingham komen op straat te staan en in Elst komen er vijfentwintig tot vijftig nieuwe arbeidsplaatsen bij.

De vakbonden in Birmingham gingen onlangs akkoord met een pakket bezuinigingsmaatregelen, maar dat is voor de Heinz-directie waarschijnlijk onvoldoende om de fabriek daar open te houden.

Veel Britten gruwelen bij de gedachte dat een opper-Brits icoon in het buitenland wordt gemaakt. Daarom is de steun voor de arbeiders in Birmingham ongewoon groot.

Politicus Khalid Mahmood, lid het Lagerhuis, zwaaide tijdens een recentelijk gehouden debat zelfs demonstratief met een fles HP-sauce. Dat was geen toeval, want parlementsleden in Engeland hebben een bijzonder zwak voor HP-sauce. ‘HP’ staat namelijk voor ‘Houses of Parliament’, omdat de azijnsoort daar al sinds 1896 wordt gebruikt. Sinds die tijd prijken de parlementsgebouwen in Westminster op het etiket.

F

fozzy

The_Cad said:

A small protest but if enough of us used consumer power, companies may think twice before betraying their workforce.
Correct - hit them in the wallet. After this bottle of HP sauce is gone that's it - no more.

fozzy said:
The_Cad said:

Correct - hit them in the wallet. After this bottle of HP sauce is gone that's it - no more.
Or start a petition.

That probably won't work either.

May I suggest a campaign to ensure that said products are never again purchased in our repective messes?

Why should we support companies that are betraying our fellow countrymen?

You may for all the good it will do.

I see that Peugeot has been conveniently forgotten by the angry masses.

But then Peugeots just don't go with chips.

Nor Nestle with their aggressive marketing of baby formula in the African sub-continent, where mothers dilute it to make it last longer and use tainted water. My children don't like the boycott on Nestle but they'll live