Hebrew, any career prospects?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by oscar1whisky, Nov 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A quick browse tells me the current interest is in Pashto/Dari, and I suspect the traditional Russian is still popular?

My question to you, then: my boy is currently studying Hebrew, on course to graduate in about 18 months and already looking to do an MA. He also speaks basic Arabic, good German and some French.

He thinks teaching may be his vocation, eventually, but is open to other ideas.

So, are his skills of use to HM Forces/ HM Diplomatic Service, etc?

Feel free to pm, or use this forum as appropriate. Thanks for any advice.
  2. Give it 5 years I'm sure something else will kick off where hebrew is needed other than that I haven't heard of anywhere people are deployed where they need to know hebrew specifically.
  3. With those languages (especially Hebrew) Diplomatic services / Foreign & Commonwealth Office / SIS would be his best bet. Though if he is leaning towards teaching then there is Educational & Training Services.
  4. A qualification in Hebrew will almost certainly guarantee that MCM Div arrange postings to South Georgia, Belize or Belfast.
  5. Wouldn't recommend the FCO as a Hebrew speaker, you've never seen such a bunch of 'anti-Zionist', camel-shagging Koran fans in all your life. No current role that I'm aware of that requires it in the Army; SIS don't recruit for specific languages for IO posts, although they and GCHQ do have specific linguist roles.

Arabic always useful and in the foreseeable future, Farsi and Urdu.
  6. He's shown he can learn a lingo, so he could still apply for all of hte above, and learn another.

Does he have any knowledge of the people who speak the language as well as being able to speak it?
  7. Thanks for replies so far. He's currently doing a year's study in Israel, considering conversion to Judaism, and possibly emigrating there. So yes, his knowledge and experience of the people, language, culture etc seems spot-on.

His options appear to be emigration to Israel, Holland or New York, who all seem to be keen on employing him. Replies to date from UK agencies = nil, which seems a shame.

Still, it gets me a holiday somewhere more pleasant than Cheltenham I suppose?
  8. GCHQ are always looking for people.
  10. I wouldn't recommend the Corps -I don't think Hebrew has been a particularly popular language to learn since July 1947 when Sergeants Clifford Martin and Mervyn Paice from the Netanya Field Security Section, both unarmed and in civilian clothes were kidnapped by the Irgun Zvai Leumi from a Cafe they had visited on a number of occasions in the company of a Jewish locally employed civilian (LEC), the latter of whom also worked for the Irgun. They were hanged in an Orange Grove and their bodies were booby trapped with grenades, in retaliation for the death sentences carried out on two convicted Irgun killers.
    The execution of the two soldiers had a knock on effect back in the United Kingdom with sporadic attacks on innocent Jewish businesses and individuals in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
  11. Purely by coincidence, the only family connection to Israel/Judaism is my father's service there post WW2. He was posted rather swiftly when caught shagging the daughter of the local Hagannah boss, who wasn't best pleased at the thought of his little princess bearing small Ulster Riflemen.
    What goes around, comes around?
  12. Certainly when I joined there was still a small requirement for Hebrew linguists on the Dark Side, it was an upgrading option for Class 1 for Arabic linguists. As far as I know, the tasking fell away sometime in the early 80s and has never been reinstated.

GCHQ - specifically, the JTLS - have a rolling requirement for linguists and will often teach folk who have proven aptitude in a 'difficult language' which is not required, target languages, which are. Bear in mind that the money is *spectacularly* terrible and the work may not suit everyone.

Emigration to Israel and conversion would take away the decision, I gather he'd be required to serve his time as a conscript in any case.
  13. GCHQ can easily track employees when they are at HQ, the problems arise when they second staff to London-based agencies. ;-)
  14. Sounds like gross professional mis-conduct to me.

I could not imagine for one moment the Intelligence Corps keeping an operator who was involved in Ugandan discussions with the other side.

............................................................................I'm working tonight, Dear. CTR up the Rosnareen Flats