Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heavy fighting erupts over separatist Nagorno-Karabakh (Armenia Vs Azerbaijan)

What a desperate wretch, has he no shame or pride?
Now throwing himself crying at the feet of the Arabs

Russia and Turkey have mutual interests - suppressing militant islam.

Russia doesn’t want its former Stans becoming new Afghanistans, neither does Turkey which is busily exporting it’s influence and secular brand of Turkish Islam to its Turkic Stan neighbours.

Russia doesn’t have an Islamist problem, Turkey gets its Ottoman trade Empire back, everyone wins.

View attachment 516544

What is secular Islam?

Why are you so invested in this?
A lot of people reading this thread are broadly sympathetic to the Armenians for historical, cultural, and religious reasons, even if they are endeavouring to take a detached and objective view of current developments.

By taking a strongly pro-Azerbaijani position, "man of a thousand user names" can set himself up to argue with other people. This gives him opportunities to try to present himself as an armchair expert on all matters Trans-Caucasian, Middle Eastern, and Central Asian. It's what he does.

Putin has been clear so far that he doesn't plan on having Russia take sides. He wants to broker a cease fire and peace deal, and he can't do that if he takes sides. There is an official peace process called the "Minsk Group", the most recent meeting of which was in Washington, and Russia would find themselves without influence in it if they were to take sides and become a co-belligerent.

We should also keep in mind that Armenia's association with NATO (Partnership for Peace, and taking part in NATO deployments) hasn't done them much good either, with NATO member Turkey taking part in the war and the rest of NATO showing a distinct lack of interest in supporting their supposed "partner" Armenia.

I suspect that Russia will prevent Azerbaijan from invading Armenia proper, but the rest of the world will do little other than issue vaguely worded press releases expressing hopes for peace.
I think this is right.

I saw an interesting tweet this morning about the war in NK undermining the reputation and usefulness of bodies such as NATO; OSCE; COST, etc. It seems (and I confess this is a simplification) that anyone with the balls to say 'I'm going to do x and bank on it being too much hassle/too complex for others to stop me' can get away with throwing their weight around. Erdogan is the prime example. I understand why that's the case but it will be giving regional leaders the wrong idea.
Yes, the Russians might well see it as an opportunity to say "forget that lot, bring your problems to Moscow". We're not there yet, though, so they're keeping the powder dry.

Any threat to the ballistic missile warning site in Armenia would probably unleash all hell, though. Russian/Soviet thinking since GW1 has been terrified of western PGMs versus their nuclear sites and both superpowers' radar infrastructure faces over the pole.

Last edited:
What is secular Islam?

the sort that teaches your relationship with God is your personal issue, and it’s not your job to enforce your interpretation on others you believe are wrong - that’s their business and they will have to answer themselves to God. Follows a broad sweep through Asia Minor into Iran.

the violent, hyperreligious islamofascism sweeping the islamic world is 100% the work of the House of Saud and it’s aggressive exporting of Saudi Arabia’s ultra orthodox and utterlly intolerrant Wahabbi sect of Islam, along with its equally intolerant religious practitioners in Pakistan

Good points.

<UK> lalala, can’t year you, we will always have 100% air superiority <UK>

best bit?

these Israeli drones slaughtering The Armenia Army at will? They were offered to us by the Israelis years ago, looked at by MOD and sniffily ignored - ‘No thanks, we‘ll design our own better ones’.

as we can see, the battlefields are now dominated by British drones and UAVs.....oh wait, our better drones programmes all turned to snot.

Why are you so invested in this?
He does this with everything, spent ages telling me that Iran were the good guys in comparison with KSA - regardless of the fact that they're both autocratic and repressive regimes with Iran leading in the number of executions significantly at the time. Insisted that the Jewish population is tolerated and faces no discrimination despite lots of evidence to the contrary.

Good points.
We need more Land Ceptor but not for them, if we used them on that kind of attack we'd be empty PDQ. 40mm CTA SPAAG on Boxer would have Nicholas wetting his knickers mind.

the sort that teaches your relationship with God is your personal issue, and it’s not your job to enforce your interpretation on others you believe are wrong - that’s their business and they will have to answer themselves to God. Follows a broad sweep through Asia Minor into Iran.

the violent, hyperreligious islamofascism sweeping the islamic world is 100% the work of the House of Saud and it’s aggressive exporting of Saudi Arabia’s ultra orthodox and utterlly intolerrant Wahabbi sect of Islam, along with its equally intolerant religious practitioners in Pakistan
Once again, you appear to have misplaced the original exporter of Islamic terrorism, as part of its ongoing Islamic revolution. You might be able to ask the RSPs for a clue though.....

From the Armenian MoD. Obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy of what is presented but for info.

Better and more informed men than I will surely be commenting on Twitter but I'll say it anyway - the "hundred dollar reward for each beheaded infidel" sounds a bit like BS - the sort of hysterical overkill attempt at propaganda that the Armenians have been getting us used to over recent weeks.

This tweeter has done some intetersting reporting on the Syrian mercenaries to Azerbaijan. I look forward to reading what she has to say about this "heads bonus"

Elizabeth Tsurkov
@Elizrael

·
Oct 30

I've documented the recruitment and deployment of child soldiers in the ranks of Turkish-backed factions (incl specifically Sultan Sliman Shah) in Syria & Libya. It is disturbing to hear that Syrian minors are also being taken to fight in Azerbaijan. Only after do deploy due to high casualty rate among Syrians (while fighting in Libya has paused). According to one of the fighters deployed, many in their ranks are minors.
~150 additional Syrian mercenaries, recruited by @abo33amsha , the commander of the Turkish-backed Sultan Sliman Shah Division, were deployed to Azerbaijan 11 days ago. The fighters were lied to & told they'll be going to Libya, where this faction is also deployed.

New front opened overnight.
that would explain the maximum effort airlifts from Turkey/Israel/Ukraine

“The enemy advanced in the same old way, and we destroyed them in the same old way”

you seriously have to wonder what’s the mindset of the Armenian High Command if they can’t get it after a month, convoys of vehicles when you have no control of the skies are just drone fodder.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Military reinforcement filmed in Armenia that is intended to go into Karabakh to help Armenian forces. Honestly, this won’t help the situation for NKR forces as they mostly need Air Defense Systems to fight the threat from Azerbaijan military drones/air superiority. <a href="https://t.co/DtfhIVha95">pic.twitter.com/DtfhIVha95</a></p>&mdash; CaucasusWarReport (@Caucasuswar) <a href="">October 31, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Better and more informed men than I will surely be commenting on Twitter but I'll say it anyway - the "hundred dollar reward for each beheaded infidel" sounds a bit like BS - the sort of hysterical overkill attempt at propaganda that the Armenians have been getting us used to over recent weeks.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The Azeris have form for beheading Armenians from 2016 and have been at it at least once this time round.

Latest Threads