Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heavy fighting erupts over separatist Nagorno-Karabakh (Armenia Vs Azerbaijan)

I know, all hands to the upper deck and shoot them down with rifles fitted with those $17,000 sights you seem so transfixed with.

meanwhile..
.....stand off attacks with swarming drones, not laser guided bombs or missiles

Transfixed? Takes one to know one pal.

I didn't have high hopes of this but actually I found it worthwhile listening:

One of the panel noted that the major powers already have the resources to cover the drone threat but it will be challenging for smaller powers such as the UK or France - in the event they send expeditionary forces.

If that is actually what he said, he seems remarkably relaxed about it. He spent the day in Shushi and did a speech from there.

This video was published today. I don't know if it's possible to know when the strikes depicted occurred. What does strike me however is that for the two Gvozdika 122 mm SP guns, there appears to have been no attempt at camouflage whatsoever.
In the meantime the Armenians published pictures of their national opera making camouflage nets. Does that indicate that they made no preparations to camouflage their forces from the air, even though they have very few air assets?

Last edited:
This video was published today. I don't know if it's possible to know when the strikes depicted occurred. What does strike me howvere is that the two Gvozdika 122 mm SP guns appear to have no attempt at camouflage whatsoever.
In the meantime the Armenians published pictures of their national opera making camouflage nets. Does that indacte that they made no preparations to camouflage their forces from the air, even though they have very few air assets?

Fwiw, I think they (Armenia) backed the wrong horse in terms of investment, and that's created the situation where their ground forces are exposed; unexpectedly as Armenia might see it.

Armenia has x4 Su30SM multi-role combat aircraft and 15 x Su25K ground-attack aircraft. Eight more Su30SM are on order. That's a decent regional force - subject to the views of any RAF types hereabouts - compared to the older Azeri Mig29s, 21s and Su25s. In terms of financial investment, attempting to create aerial superiority using aircraft was probably sensible at the time the decision to purchase Su30 was taken (early 2019). This pre-dated the Turkish use of drones to halt the SAA offensive in Idlib. And even though the Turkish use of drones in Idlib was dramatic, Armenia would have needed a prescient leader/MoD to have focused on investing in drones as Azerbaijan has done. Also, the implied threat of the use of the Turkish air force to defend Azerbaijan seems to have nullified any supposed Armenian advantage in the air.

More recently, Armenia was aware it had an issue. This is an internet article from July this year:

I saw the same photos of you and it must be the case that there isn't enough camouflage netting to go around. I guess that the lack of such netting doesn't mean the Armenians decide not to place troops and equipment, despite the consequences. But the situation - Azeri use of lots of UAV - appears not to have been planned for and one could argue that until v recently Armenia thought it could at least contest control of the skies; and that therefore there might have been less initial focus on camouflaging ground forces?

Last edited:
Karabakh President has announced the Azeris are now 5km from Shushi

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This address is very different in spirit from Armenia’s MoD talking points that downplay significance of Azerbaijan’s advances and claim Azeri forces are losing advantage. This is a now or never speech. <a href="https://t.co/rkmDcmrdZQ">https://t.co/rkmDcmrdZQ</a></p>&mdash; Grigor Atanesian (@atanessi) <a href="">October 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Erdogan and Putin have been talking, and now Young Vladimir has spoken..... and Pashinyan won’t like it - the Russians clearly want a deal before Turkey imposes one.

‘Henry Foy in Moscow and Laura Pitel in Ankara 5 HOURS AGO

Russia is open to the return of Azerbaijani territory occupied by Armenian forces as a means to help solve a long-running conflict between the two countries that erupted into war last month. The handover of the land surrounding the disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, has been a central element of long-stalled peace negotiations, but Russian president Vladimir Putin’s reiteration comes at a moment of intense diplomatic efforts to pause the fighting, which has killed around 5,000 people and displaced tens of thousands. Armenia seized the mountainous region Nagorno-Karabakh region — which lies inside Azerbaijan but populated by ethnic Armenians — and a large amount of surrounding territory in a war that ended in 1994. The UN recognises the land as belonging to Azerbaijan. “It should be said that our position is absolutely open with regard to the possibility of handing over these five plus two [surrounding] districts to Azerbaijan, alongside the provision of a specific regime for the Karabakh zone and the securing of a link with Armenia,” Mr Putin said on Thursday. “[We must] find a balance of interests that would suit both sides: the interests of both the Azerbaijani people, whom we treat with unwavering respect, and the Armenian people should be taken into account,” he added. “Each side has its own truth. There are no simple solutions.” In a little over a month of fighting, Azeri forces have taken control of a large proportion of the mainly flat and sparsely populated territory south of Nagorno-Karabakh, but struggled to make gains in the mountainous areas further north. A return to Azerbaijan of the surrounding territories was first agreed in 2007 under the so-called Madrid Principles, in exchange for a self-governed Nagorno-Karabakh with a corridor linking the region to Armenia. Russia’s president Vladimir Putin says both sides must find a balance of interests © Alexei Druzhinin/Kremlin/Reuters But Baku has accused Yerevan of failing to engage in talks over implementing those principles, forcing it to take military action, while also stating that it seeks the return of all the land captured by Armenia. Russia, the US and France have led efforts to pause the fighting, but three attempted ceasefires have failed to hold. Moscow, the traditional powerbroker in the Caucasus region, has sought to remain neutral in the conflict between the two former Soviet states, but is wary of the rising regional clout of Turkey, which backs Azerbaijan. Turkey, which has supplied armed drones and offered strong political support to its “brother country” Azerbaijan, has criticised previous efforts to reach a truce. Ankara has insisted that it must play a role in negotiations — a stance echoed by Azerbaijan’s president Ilham Aliyev. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan held a phone call with Mr Putin on Tuesday. Speaking afterwards, he said that he had urged the Russian leader to work with Turkey on a joint solution to the crisis. “I said: ‘You talk with [Armenian prime minister Nikol] Pashinyan, I’ll talk with my brother Ilham [Aliyev] . . . We are sincere. I believe that you are too.” The Turkish president, who spoke by phone with Mr Aliyev on Thursday, said that he had also set out his “red lines” to Mr Putin and stressed that Ankara wouldn’t hesitate to respond if these were crossed. He gave no further detail, but Ankara has repeatedly called for Armenia to withdraw from what it says are occupied lands. Mr Putin on Thursday said that “Turkey and a number of European states” should work together to find a consensus.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
4 x hit to kill anti ship cruise missiles = not a terminally hard defensive problem for ship defences
480 x mini drones = impossible defensive problem for ship defences
unless you tke into account the ships forward motion, the wind shear factor from the superstructure, the average wind speed at sea, and the waves, plus ships tend to be soem distance from land anyway

unless you tke into account the ships forward motion, the wind shear factor from the superstructure, the average wind speed at sea, and the waves, plus ships tend to be soem distance from land anyway

you're right, the MOD is wasting £hundreds of millions on directed energy weapons researth, and RN is totally barking up the wrong tree with its current work on mini drones for war at sea, and it’s belief in an urgent need for a an effective defence against swarming drone attacks.

nope, drones will never catch on other than in perfectly still air......

F-18’s Could just as easily be deploying hundreds of micro slaughterbots

Last edited:
meanwhile.....

back to the Caucasus

busy night in the air. 2 x Azeri An-72’s and 2 x Azeri 747 freighters in//out to Turkey,
already had a 747 freighter from Israel and a Turkish AF A400M to Azerbaijan in the last 24 hours.

that’s a lot of stuff, (presumably drones and missiles) on the move.

4 x hit to kill anti ship cruise missiles = not a terminally hard defensive problem for ship defences
480 x mini drones = impossible defensive problem for ship defences
you're right, the MOD is wasting £hundreds of millions on directed energy weapons researth, and RN is totally barking up the wrong tree with its current work on mini drones for war at sea, and it’s belief in an urgent need for a an effective defence against swarming drone attacks.
Is it impossible or not?

Huge explosions visible from Stepanekert, footage on Al Jazeera, Armenians say they are blowing up ammunition in the path of advancing Azeri forces.

BBC report from inside Nagorno-Karabakh

Edited - I can't get it to link, it's on the BBC website called 'Armenians on the front line'.

Last edited:
Huge explosions visible from Stepanekert, footage on Al Jazeera, Armenians say they are blowing up ammunition in the path of advancing Azeri forces.

Pretty sure the Armenians weren't sitting in their trenches cheering at their own ammunition blowing up!