Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heavy fighting erupts over separatist Nagorno-Karabakh (Armenia Vs Azerbaijan)

As an old squaddie always with an eye out for "spare" kit I find this video quite interesting. If what is shows is genuine, people appear to have abandoned even their personal weapons and scarpered (or perhaps put their hands up and surrendered).
I've heard of soldiers abandoning their personal weapons in a rout but cannot imagine what could bring me or a whole group of soldiers to that point, especially when the conflict is an ethno-religious one and I'd want some last means of defence/exit.

As an old squaddie always with an eye out for "spare" kit I find this video quite interesting. If what is shows is genuine, people appear to have abandoned even their personal weapons and scarpered (or perhaps put their hands up and surrendered).
I've heard of soldiers abandoning their personal weapons in a rout but cannot imagine what could bring me or a whole group of soldiers to that point, especially when the conflict is an ethno-religious one and I'd want some last means of defence/exit.

Interesting video. Towards the end, it looks as if they may have been attacked while in the act of digging in (the shovels in the partly-dug positions)?

not happy campers.....

"Look, people, here ... those who came from Armavir and other regions ... We were hungry for three days in the rain, there was no food, no people, no soldiers ... They brought us here and left us, we stayed on our own. Nobody cares about us (blasphemy). We have been in this situation for three days. "

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="tr" dir="ltr">Ermeni askerlerin konuşmaları:<br><br>“Bakın millet, burada... Armavir&#39;den ve diğer bölgelerden gelenler... Üç gün yağmurda aç durduk, yiyecek yok, insan yok, asker yok ... Buraya getirip bıraktılar, kendi başımıza kaldık. Bizi kimse umursamıyor (küfür). Üç gündür bu durumdayız.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/TCRcL46Z4s">pic.twitter.com/TCRcL46Z4s</a></p>&mdash; sinan (@5inan_) <a href="">October 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting video. Towards the end, it looks as if they may have been attacked while in the act of digging in (the shovels in the partly-dug positions)?

Goris - Tigranavan main road?

Thats the main road through the Lachin Corridor.

There do seem to be some unfolded entrenching tools lying around. Rather bleak terrain isn't it? It doesn't seem to offer cover. I wonder if they were deployed there in an untenable position. Funnily enough in the attached text (translated by Google) there is no mention of a captured BMP 2/APC. the broken rear light fiitings on that vehicle - looks like someone desparately tried to keep the brake lights from coming on?

There do seem to be some unfolded entrenching tools lying around. Rather bleak terrain isn't it? It doesn't seem to offer cover. I wonder if they were deployed there in an untenable position. Funnily enough in the attached text (translated by Google) there is no mention of a captured BMP 2/APC. the broken rear light fiitings on that vehicle - looks like someone desparately tried to keep the brake lights from coming on?
Well-spotted re. the brake lights. It is quite bleak and the lack of cover must be an issue given the UAV situation. That said, the Azeris are still having to fight and the video is a snapshot of what they found - which doesn't look good, admittedly - necessarily devoid of context. Rather like the column of Azeri BTR, we have to speculate about what caused what we see.

4(T)

LE

Quite a few empty cases in some of the pits, and the AGS-30 has run through some belts - so looks like there was bit of a fight before they were overrun.

No sign of casualties, nor of much in the way of incoming. Legged it, or encircled and captured en masse.

Quite a few empty cases in some of the pits, and the AGS-30 has run through some belts - so looks like there was bit of a fight before they were overrun.

No sign of casualties, nor of much in the way of incoming. Legged it, or encircled and captured en masse.

drone showed up?

I doubt there’s not a single Armenian soldier who hasn’t seen on YouTube what happens to Armenian trench lines when the Bayraktars turn up.

makes you wonder if the ‘checkpoints’ put in yesterday are to dissuade troops legging it.

’More than 10 new checkpoints were installed on the highways of the Ararat, Gegharkunik, Vayots Dzor and Syunik regions of Armenia to prevent foreign spies and sabotage and reconnaissance groups from entering the territory of Armenia’

Last edited:

4(T)

LE
drone showed up?

I doubt there’s not a single Armenian soldier who hasn’t seen on YouTube what happens to Armenian trench lines when the Bayraktars turn up.

makes you wonder if the ‘checkpoints’ put in yesterday are to dissuade troops legging it.

’More than 10 new checkpoints were installed on the highways of the Ararat, Gegharkunik, Vayots Dzor and Syunik regions of Armenia to prevent foreign spies and sabotage and reconnaissance groups from entering the territory of Armenia’

There are several piles of weapons and kit dumped together, almost certainly where groups of blokes were gathered together and disarmed.

Given that it looks like every single personal weapon is still in its pit, I reckon these guys surrendered as a unit in situ, and weren't able to get away.

Looking at the general bare-arrsed position they were in, I'd guess that they were spotted as they occupied the position and started to dig in - probably at night. There is a load of dumped MLRS and arty ammo, but no guns, so perhaps they were there to prep the position for them.

Possibly all the Azeris then had to do was come up at first light with some armour and catch them unprepared. Looks like the Armenians only had a couple of RPG & LAW available - no ATGM - so not much they could do to a load of tanks and BMP2.

Interesting bit of kit.

There are several piles of weapons and kit dumped together, almost certainly where groups of blokes were gathered together and disarmed.

Given that it looks like every single personal weapon is still in its pit, I reckon these guys surrendered as a unit in situ, and weren't able to get away.

Looking at the general bare-arrsed position they were in, I'd guess that they were spotted as they occupied the position and started to dig in - probably at night. There is a load of dumped MLRS and arty ammo, but no guns, so perhaps they were there to prep the position for them.

Possibly all the Azeris then had to do was come up at first light with some armour and catch them unprepared. Looks like the Armenians only had a couple of RPG & LAW available - no ATGM - so not much they could do to a load of tanks and BMP2.

Armenian .Gov admitted to fighting near Berdzor yesterday. The Azeri advance into Lachin was certainly very fast.

Armenian .Gov admitted to fighting near Berdzor yesterday. The Azeri advance into Lachin was certainly very fast.

Do you have a link for that?

here ya go

1. That doesn't say there was fighting near Berdzor, it says the Azeris were advancing in the direction of Berdzor before being stopped.

2. I am not convinced that 'Armenian Military Portal' is the Armenian Government, especially as they are operating from a Gmail address not a .AM address like all the other Armenian Government sources!

Armenia published this map of areas lost, yesterday.
ElWz-XLWoAUpOYH.jpeg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Well-spotted re. the brake lights. It is quite bleak and the lack of cover must be an issue given the UAV situation. That said, the Azeris are still having to fight and the video is a snapshot of what they found - which doesn't look good, admittedly - necessarily devoid of context. Rather like the column of Azeri BTR, we have to speculate about what caused what we see.
Don't even Russian-made military vehicles have the equivalent of a convoy light switch? Certainly looks as though they gave up after only the briefest of fights - kit all over the shop, but no blood trails/stains and only one corpse. Seems that untrained reservists were caught by surprise with sub-standard leadership.

The vehicles looked like they had been given a quick going-over with the contents dumped out on the ground. Quite possibly as you said they were caught unprepared while emplacing and had to surrender, dropping all their kit on the spot, and then everything was searched by the Azerbaijanis. Presumably they collected up the weapons and ammunition after filming it for media purposes.

Down on the planes the Armenians are out in the open with no natural cover or concealment and few natural defensive features. It will be interesting to see how well the Azerbaijanis will fair once they get up into the mountains.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

My old QM would have a fit of apoplexy

Latest Threads