Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heavy fighting erupts over separatist Nagorno-Karabakh (Armenia Vs Azerbaijan)

The Azeries have obviously not been taught not to bunch up, they definitely have their problems. The Armenians have the high ground and effective Soviet artilley, but what is your point here? Are you inferring that the Armenians are wreaking similar unprecedented havoc with drones but just aren't bothering to show it?

when the skies are full of drones, positions on the high ground just make you an easier target

Yerevan tells that Ganja is being hit by Karabakh forces, from Karabakh. Apparently the Armenians provoke Azerbaijan to fire own ballistic missiles at Armenian cities (I mean inside Armenia itself). So Armenia in this case could ask Moscow to defend it.
Yes, the Armenians have to change tactics - to use small units mostly under woods cover.
The Karabakh war highlighted importance of drones, especially inexpensive small ones that can not be easily detected.
Drones developed and produced in Israel or Turkey are not something unique that other countries are unable to develop and produce. I don't speak about only major powers but also about Iran. Hezbollah armed with Iranian drones would be a serious threat. Armenia itself has sufficient intellectual and industrial potential to develop and produce drones especially with financial help from the diaspora.

Never mind the politics.

What we are seeing here appears to be highly accurate - but relatively inexpensive (as it is also being used on low value targets).

I think we are are witnessing a 'game changer' .

Happy to be proven wrong.

Yerevan tells that Ganja is being hit by Karabakh forces, from Karabakh. Apparently the Armenians provoke Azerbaijan to fire own ballistic missiles at Armenian cities (I mean inside Armenia itself). So Armenia in this case could ask Moscow to defend it.
Yes, the Armenians have to change tactics - to use small units mostly under woods cover.
The Karabakh war highlighted importance of drones, especially inexpensive small ones that can not be easily detected.
Drones developed and produced in Israel or Turkey are not something unique that other countries are unable to develop and produce. I don't speak about only major powers but also about Iran. Hezbollah armed with Iranian drones would be a serious threat. Armenia itself has sufficient intellectual and industrial potential to develop and produce drones especially with financial help from the diaspora.

Yes it certainly looks the way you portray it.

Even IS were doing some nasty things with commercial quadcopters.

It seems "unique" will next apply to effective means of detection/defence against drones. I wonder if anyone currently has effective defence, ready for deployment.

I can't see how this can go on. I assume the pauses between the intensity of these strikes is to allow re-supply but, if the Azerbaijanis have a supply of drones, Armenia/NK is eventually going to run out of men.
Last week, things seemed less bad in respect of drone attacks. I thought that might allow Armenia to hold on through the winter but I was probably wrong.

a lot of these are strikes from TB2’s using MAM micro munitions, Roketsan will be working shifts to churn them out.

4 per drone, each ones doing serious execution, Armenia’s going to run out of body’s soon.

a lot of these are strikes from TB2’s using MAM micro munitions, Roketsan will be working shifts to churn them out.

4 per drone, each ones doing serious execution, Armenia’s going to run out of body’s soon.
I can't see how it can be sustained, tbh (the Armenian losses).

which is I think is Baku‘s aim, turn Nagorno Karabakh into a graveyard for the Armenian Army.
Pashinyan has already let slip his Army's morale is under stress.

Turkey has @ TB2 80 drones in service, and lots active over Nagorno Karabakh, and Azerbaijan has an indeterminate number, but it’s in full scale production with a large Azeri order book, so numbers can only up.

Makes one wonder why the Armenian air force isn't up trying to shoot down the TB2s.

On rereading your post I think you and I aren't interested in the same aspects of the conflict.
My mind is blown by the military/tactical aspects and you seem to be more interested in the strategic/political/ethnic aspect.
To any squaddie or former squaddie the way drones are being used there is highly significant, irrespective of the countries/etnicities involved.
One big question I already alluded to is - how long can the Azeries keep the drone offensive up?

I will also be looking for evidence of the Armenians taking measures to camouflage themselves from drones (since they don't seem to have effective AD).
Having the best tactics, tech etc doesn't really matter if you don't also win the strategic/political/ethnic part of the war. See Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan etc for details.

Having the best tactics, tech etc doesn't really matter if you don't also win the strategic/political/ethnic part of the war. See Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan etc for details.

You could well be right, I never got beyond sergeant which is probably why I'm more preoccupied with what's actually happening on the ground (to include being haplessly f*cked from the air).

Last edited:

Slime

LE

Do you have an accurate figure in mind for those losses?

A google search will give numbers for drones publicly purchased by Azerbaijan, but even if the real figure was double that the drones are targeting individual soldiers in many cases.

The videos we see show accurate drone attacks, but surely we are only seeing dozens of attack videos, not thousands.

As an aside, ‘accuracy’ of modern weapons may be the game changer we will witness. With the latest US tests showing their hypersonic glide weapon has an accuracy down to 6 inches after a 1000 mile flight it could mean any static sites could be useless in the event of peer war.

It is too early in this punch up for for your (valid ) point re strategic/ political etc.

Right now - and until Armenia brings her 'Secret Weapon ' into play ...

....she is fcuked in NK

Do you have an accurate figure in mind for those losses?

A google search will give numbers for drones publicly purchased by Azerbaijan, but even if the real figure was double that the drones are targeting individual soldiers in many cases.

The videos we see show accurate drone attacks, but surely we are only seeing dozens of attack videos, not thousands.

As an aside, ‘accuracy’ of modern weapons may be the game changer we will witness. With the latest US tests showing their hypersonic glide weapon has an accuracy down to 6 inches after a 1000 mile flight it could mean any static sites could be useless in the event of peer war.
Oryx blog has an updated list in this article. This is a list only of verified losses. Not all are due to UAV or guided munitions.

Manpower losses are in the region of 600 men. Rob Lee on Twitter is a good source for info re. the Armenian side of the conflict (losses, etc).

Slime

LE
Oryx blog has an updated list in this article. This is a list only of be verified losses.

Manpower losses are in the region of 600 men.

Thanks for that, I hadn’t been following enough to have a figure in mind.

Many of us here value or valued pink fleshy bits as being the most important thing to treasure.
A chilling (yet obvious) thought occurred seeing the troops still lacking decent overhead cover in this vids.

Are the Armenian bosses thinking:
Losing run of the mill fleshy bodies is preferable to losing expensive kit.
Or.
Having these vids seen by the masses will turn public opinion in favour of Armenia.

Yes it certainly looks the way you portray it.

Even IS were doing some nasty things with commercial quadcopters.

It seems "unique" will next apply to effective means of detection/defence against drones. I wonder if anyone currently has effective defence, ready for deployment.
Couldn't agree more. Effective anti-drone defence becomes a big problem. It is a very hard task to detect high flying slow moving tiny drone made mainly from plastic. And even being detected such a target requires missile to hit it that could be more expensive than the drone itself. And imagine that there are hundreds, thousands such drones in the skies. Jamming is not always a solution. Artificial intellect, automatic recognition of images, satellite based positioning would make drones extremely effective and dangerous weapon ... especially in the hands of terrorists.

Couldn't agree more. Effective anti-drone defence becomes a big problem. It is a very hard task to detect high flying slow moving tiny drone made mainly from plastic. And even being detected such a target requires missile to hit it that could be more expensive than the drone itself. And imagine that there are hundreds, thousands such drones in the skies. Jamming is not always a solution. Artificial intellect, automatic recognition of images, satellite based positioning would make drones extremely effective and dangerous weapon ... especially in the hands of terrorists.
Well we don't need to worry about Russia fielding such advanced craft in any numbers then. Nor shooting them down either, given how rubbish Russian AD tends to be.

Makes one wonder why the Armenian air force isn't up trying to shoot down the TB2s.
Armenian fighter-jets would be easy targets for Azeri AD. And there is a big problem to detect drones.

Thanks for that, I hadn’t been following enough to have a figure in mind.

Many of us here value or valued pink fleshy bits as being the most important thing to treasure.
A chilling (yet obvious) thought occurred seeing the troops still lacking decent overhead cover in this vids.

Are the Armenian bosses thinking:
Losing run of the mill fleshy bodies is preferable to losing expensive kit.
Or.
Having these vids seen by the masses will turn public opinion in favour of Armenia.
Apologies for presenting the information that way. Armenia seems to be losing men and kit at an alarming rate. Someone on Twitter reviewed the Armenian losses and worked out that half of the dead were born this century.
The only thing I can think of re. the question of why is, the Armenians may not have an answer, but are stuck as the alternative is to pack up and go home.
Humanitarian ceasefire from tomorrow which is some good news though the last one didn't last very long.

Armenian fighter-jets would be easy targets for Azeri AD. And there is a big problem to detect drones.
So the Russian kit the Armenians have got is also rubbish at Iron Hand type missions. What is Russian kit good for, apart from being targets?

Latest Threads