Heavy APCs - an Israeli invention?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by loofkar, Sep 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. IDF chief approves long-term budget hike for ground forces

Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff approved Monday the army's long-term budget, including a significant increase in expenditure on the ground forces -the first such hike in years.

The program implements many decisions made in the light of conclusions from the Second Lebanon War. One of its key aims is to equip the army with hundreds of heavy Armored Personel Carriers (APCs). The absence of such vehicles severely hampered the IDF's ability to maneuver in southern Lebanon and re-supply troops.
    Heavy APCs of the 'Tiger' model are to be produced using the platform of Israel's Merkava tanks.
  2. hardly an Israeli invention. The British army was converting Sherman AFVs to an APC role in WWII.
  3. The Israelis habitually re-cycle old MBTs - no scrap contracts there.

I forget what they call them but the most common one at the moment appears to be an APC based on T54/55 chassis - well, they had to do something with all the kit they nicked off the Ayrabs! :D :D :D
  4. It's called the 'Achzarit'. The new heavy APC is called the 'Namer'. The interesting thing about this one is that it is based on the latest Merkava Mk4 MBT chassis, not a conversion of an obsolete vehicle. A bit like a Challenger 2 APC! An interesting article on the Namer has just been posted here on an Israeli site.

To return to the original topic, I believe that it was the Canadians who were first with this idea, with their 'Kangeroo' vehicles in WWII.
  5. Well warrior must need replacing soon may we could do a licence build agreement its not like arabs could hate us more :twisted: .
  6. Cheers for that, GN. IIRC, didn't the Merkava already had the capability of carrying a few infantry in the back?
  7. When I get back from my hols, I'll look in the books, but I'm sure there were infantry carrying AFVs based on extended Mk X tanks in WW1.

However, this may be bolleaux.

Certainly, as mentioned above both SHERMAn and RAM tanks were converted to APC in WW2, with turret removed and bench seating fitted in the hull.
  8. Yep, in an emergency the Merkava can carry a squad of infantry (at a pinch) in a compartment usually used for extra ammunition.
  9. Correct. Gen Crerar came up with the idea of converting some SP gun chassis used for D Day beach bombardment into infantry carriers. The aim was to provide sufficient protection and mobility to get infantry right into the network of defended villages on the Bourgebus ridge above Caen that had so battered Montgomery's Op GOODWOOD. The Op was called TOTALISE, and also featured Bofors fire and radio signals to keep armoured columns on track throughout a night advance (together with other innovations).

Ken Tout in A Fine Night for Tanks! records the op in some detail, and I am sometimes surprised that it is less well known. I guess because, notwithstanding the clever innovation and advances of a few miles, it was only one step in the eventual (and slow) defeat of the Germans on Normandy.
  10. My failing memory betrays me again. Actually a Mk IX tank, although it seems none ever actually saw combat.

For the spotters among you I give you this Wiki Page.