Heating in Transit accomodation

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Jennie, Oct 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last weekend, we were, as usual situated in transit accommodation at a training camp. The weather was lovely, during the day, blue skies, happy landing, sun, warmth etc. unfortunately none of us could sleep that night as the accommodation block was like a sauna, even with the windows open, together with the front door. The block had not been used since the previous week end!

So why is it that the army seems to insist on putting the heating on October 1st for 6-7 months, whether the weather warrants it or not. The radiators are old, the majority are no longer adjustable, and set on to permanent send. Experience over the years suggests that this is generally, an army wide problem.

If the heating was controlled more sensibly, the army could save a significant amount I would have thought on the heating costs of these camps, especially with the cost of fuel, whether gas or oil increasing by ~30% in the last four years or so.

Additionally, it is not just the accommodation blocks, the lecture rooms etc are also in a similar position, tooo hot for comfort.

Any comments, suggestions?

2. It's so that we don't feel left out when comapared with some of our fellow european armies, I seem to recall a camp in Bosnia with saunas as standard... Just find some Birch twigs to whip yourself with.
    I'm sure we'll get around to installing the wooden panelling sometime in the next 10 years...
  3. I fondly remember the time an SQMS switched off the heating in an empty room to save energy. He then opened the windows while making noises about "unhealthy singlies". Shame it was -24C at the time. The bang was spectacular and the flood even more so. Instead of beating lumps out of said senior rank the Squadron put it on orders that windows had to be closed and heating on at full....or else. :roll:
  4. hence why I said better manage, and not turn of the heating :)

5. Couldn't agree more. Shortly after above incident the heating system including hot water supply was ripped out and replaced. We ended up with freezing rooms necessitating fan heaters etc and found that only ten guys out of forty could have a shower!