• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Heathrow closed

Didn't know about the third runway issue, but the original layout at heathrow was a star of david layout with 6 runways

View attachment 130734

Which is why there is a tunnel, or at least *was* a tunnel - haven't been there for years - to get to the terminals, where the model of concorde is. You're going under a runway, like the motorway that goes under Charles de Gaulle airport
That is a bloody old pic, only the two "main" runways (09/27 L&R, the ones that run left to right in the pic) are in use with the rest now being stands or part of the terminal expansions.

And the tunnel under the Southern runway is still there, you don't want to know what sort of gunge gets all over and inside the lights in that thing as the years go by.

You'd have thought that if they were going to take runways away, it would be the ones that meant you didn't have to drive under big heavy airyplanes.

It was bad enough at luton when they used to close the road to let the planes through
Used to get that at Heathrow too, just look at the east end of the place and you'll see the crossing point between the airport and the maintenance base. Just look on Google Maps and follow Eastchurch Road, you'll see the old gates that used to be closed unless there was something crossing the road.

I've been to LHR hundreds, if not thousands of times. In fact I'll be there on Monday, but I didn't know there was a tunnel under the southern runway. Where does it come out? In the Cargo area?
Not "in" the cargo area, but very close to there.

Buggrit, here's the link to Google Maps, look for Tunnel Link Rd and where it joins with Southampton Rd, there you'll find the southern entrance/exit of the tunnel.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=heathrow&ie=UTF-8&ei=c6ThUdnUMY6APfTJgOAK&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Used to get that at Heathrow too, just look at the east end of the place and you'll see the crossing point between the airport and the maintenance base. Just look on Google Maps and follow Eastchurch Road, you'll see the old gates that used to be closed unless there was something crossing the road.
When was that? I'm thinking it was mid to late 70's at Luton. Gib you still do, and it's quite likely to stay that way

When was that? I'm thinking it was mid to late 70's at Luton. Gib you still do, and it's quite likely to stay that way
The "Plane Crossing" on Eastchurch Road was still in use in 2005, have a pic from 2002

0267529.jpg

Didn't know about the third runway issue, but the original layout at heathrow was a star of david layout with 6 runways

View attachment 130734

Which is why there is a tunnel, or at least *was* a tunnel - haven't been there for years - to get to the terminals, where the model of concorde is. You're going under a runway, like the motorway that goes under Charles de Gaulle airport
Random fact: That picture of LHR also doubles as Burpelston Air Force Base in the film Dr Strangelove.

If you look at the map on the wall of General Rippers office, it's a map of LHR (as was).

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)