Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hearts of iron 4

Uladh

Old-Salt
this game is being released on steam in just over 1 week - https://www.paradoxplaza.com/hearts-of-iron-iv

HEARTS OF IRON IV
Victory is at your fingertips! Your ability to lead your nation is your supreme weapon, the strategy game Hearts of Iron IV lets you take command of any nation in World War II; the most engaging conflict in world history. From the heart of the battlefield to the command center, you will guide your nation to glory and wage war, negotiate or invade. You hold the power to tip the very balance of WWII. It is time to show your ability as the greatest military leader in the world. Will you relive or change history? Will you change the fate of the world by achieving victory at all costs?

Main Features

• Total strategic war: War is not only won on land, sea and in the air. It’s also achieved in the hearts and minds of men and women.
  • Authentic real-time war simulation: Let the greatest commanders of WW2 fight your war with the tools of the time; tanks, planes, ships, guns and newly discovered weapons of mass destruction.
  • Assume control of any nation: Choose from the greatest powers striving for victory, or the small nations trying to weather the storm.
  • Turn the world into your battlefield: Experience the full WWII timespan in a topographical map complete with seasons, weather and terrain. Snow, mud, storms can be both your strong ally and a ruthless enemy.
  • Negotiate or force your will: Experience the advanced politics and diplomacy systems, form factions, engage in trade for resources and appoint ministers to your party.
  • Intense Online Combat: Battle in both competitive and cooperative multiplayer for up to 32 players. Featuring hotjoin and cross-platform multiplayer.
  • Give your nation a unique edge: Experience the flexible technology system, where all major powers get their own unique identity. Develop detailed historic tanks and planes through research and army experience.

CmdKeen

Old-Salt
I'm looking forward to it - Hearts of Iron 2 was an absolute classic. HoI 3 was an absolute impenetrable beast that was far too complicated, though a handy way to learn NATO unit symbols.

This variant seems to hit a sweet point of decent complexity but sufficient accessibility. Trying to outfox the Brits in North Africa or successfully cause "the whole rotten structure will come crashing down" is quite tempting.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
HOI 3 ....hmm, I picked it up some time ago and I just can't seem to get into it, which is a shame because it sounds like my dream game.

I lost a few months to HOI 2 :), I hope this one is solidly based on that and not the HOI3 abortion

Rogerio134

Old-Salt
Fancy getting this one when my new computer shows up, love games that suck you in bigtime fancy being the Germans and steamrollering Russia.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
The reviews seem to be a bit on the marmite side..

I loved Hoi3 though it was difficult to get into. Seems they have gone over the top in simplifying it and Paradox games are often only really playable after a couple years of patching.

Hence still on the fence about buying it, anyone played it at length?

Steam are having a sale until 1st Dec where you can buy the basic game and bundle pack to go with it for just under £30

which I've just bought

Got to be honest and say if it was about quantum physics I don't think I'd be more confused. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time on the tutorials on youtube

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
I did buy it a couple of years ago.

Much simpler than Hoi3.

I wouldn't bother with the Youtube tutorials... It only works as a game if you role play it, as soon as you start powergaming or exploiting someone else's meta it descends into farce quite quickly. As with all of Paradox's stuff.

Last time I played it someone had built 70 knot battlecruisers...

Thanks for the warning

Had a nap very early this morning for a couple of hours but I've almost been straight it at for almost 24 hours p;laying as fascist Italy and seem to have done worse as the real Italians in that 1940 has just ended and I've lost all my territory in North and East Africa and my Mediterranean fleet of over 40 surface ships have been sunk

I'll still keep at it though

Actually this youtube tutorial might be very helpful

though I've no idea if I'm going to live long enough to master the game. Talk about indepth

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
40 really isn't very many... Dockyards don't cost much and don't affect the mil / civ ratio so you are only limited by steel.

All paradox games are built around compound interest, which is why they never manage to balance them. A lot of the depth is just fluff, for instance the division designer is largely pointless as game mechanics make 40 width divisions almost unbeatable.

But it is entertaining until you find it's limitations.

I'm still trying to get in to it and I really am developing a bizarre love/hate relationship with it . I knew the world was crying out for a RTS y game that combines the mechanics of Civilisation with the second world war and we all know that the Axis lost because the Allies out produced them in everything tenfold and the dtes vaguely mirror that of real history in that Italy starts off fighting in the Horn Of Africa in 1936 while America joins the Allies at the end of 1941 . It is interesting trying to fight a war where your one step ahead of your enemy in technology but you're only able to produce a small handful of ships, planes and tanks compared to your foe

Unfortunately the worst thing is something that can't really be overcome and that is the graphics are an absolute mess where you've got literally hundreds of divisions spread over a region and it's difficult understand WTF is going on . I doing make sure my own army groups are of contrasting colours but that's like using a sticking plaster on an amputation

There's also a rather strange element of the AI keeping records of your losses . The naval losses are easy to access and understand as are the manpower losses but air campaigns are ridiculous. Apparently you have to click on the air map and then access losses via the icon on the top right corner but it's difficult to navigate like much of the game

I do remember I really struggled with Wargame Air-Land Battle when it came out and like HOI4 much of this was down to it being too in depth but I quickly managed to conquer that. But as Flight suggested it's like the developers don't want you to become an addict