Hearts of Darkness - A fim makers apocalypse

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Aunty Stella, Apr 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The making of Apocalypse Now.

Got given it a few months ago, decided to put it on at around 00:00 tonight to fall asleep to.

Fcuk me, what a film!

The making of A N was unbelieveable!

Drugs and drink galore, shot during a war in the Phillipines, threats from Phillipine rebels, prop helicopters keep dissapearing to go of and fight an actual war, Martin Sheen actually acting a scene whilst totally p1ssed out of his head, crew scared that he would attack them, losing a load of blood, having a fcuking heart attack after! All in the actual film.

Needing to keep track of what drugs actors were taking in order to feed them the same ones come the next scene, all done because US military advisors were telling them what the prefered drugs of different units were! Apparently Air Cav had a different one to PBR drivers!

Francis Cuppola nearly bankrupting himself, decending into madness during the shooting.

It is a fcuking brilliant watch and thoroughly recomended.

If you can't get it, drop me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction, but it really is a "must see"

2. Tell me more.I love this film

"I told you not to stop" !!!!!

3. Hearts of Darkness is superb.

If you can, watch "Apocalypse Now Redux" first. Better than the original cut. Longer but seems shorter as the fils hangs together much better in "Redux"

4. I saw it (A. N.) when it first came out in 1979 and was blown away by it. I've seen it a couple of times on telly since on HBO and Cinemax. One of the strangest films ever made about the Vietnam experience that I've ever seen. The source material was "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.

There was a "making of" documentary made in 1991 called "Hearts of Darkness". That's the second weirdest Vietnam War movie I've ever seen.

Harrison Ford had a very small role at the beginning of the film (A. N.). He played the General's aide who briefed CPT Willard on his mission. If you blinked you might have missed it.

I might be setting myself up for a brickbat, but I thought Coppalla should have cast someone else in the COL Kurtz role as that tub of lard Marlon Brando did a piss-poor job of trying to be menacing. Brando didn't do any good acting after 1962 IMHO. (Except for the Godfather)

5. Apocalypse Now (original or the longer ...Redux) is a superb film.

Not superb but also based (somewhat loosely) on Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" is "Cannibal Women in the Avocado Valley of Death", released in the UK as "Piranha Women in the Avocado Valley of Death" (IMDB linky)

The movie is based on a trip into an avocado jungle in a hidden unexplored valley near San Bernadino California. The valley is ruled by an all female tribe of amazons who have erm... unusual tastes in men. Nowhere near as artistic as Apocolypse Now but much funnier. Check the quotes in the IMDB link above. It would appeal to most ARRSER's twisted sense of humor (or humour, depending on your side of the pond).

6. documentary is based on film footage shot by Eleanor, Coppola´s wife and her book "Notes on the making of Apocalypse Now"

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'Harrison Ford had a very small role at the beginning of the film (A. N.). He played the General's aide who briefed CPT Willard on his mission. If you blinked you might have missed it.'

and if you look very closely his nametag reads 'g. lucas' - this was a reference to George Lucas who was supposed to have been making it together with Coppola.

8. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Interesting book, recommended.

SK

9. I would strongly recommend that anyone interested in Apocalypse Now and Coppola reads 'Easy Riders and Raging Bulls' by Peter Biskind. There is no better book about Hollywood in the 1970s when the counterculture generation got their hands on the levers of power and proceeded to destroy themselves. If you think that Coppola was crazy you should read the stories about Billy Friedkin (The Exorcist) and Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver).

10. Really?... with extreme prejudice. Next you'll be telling us that some of the words are by TS Elliot...

As Aunty Stella mentions, Sheen minor was off his face when some of the stuff was being filmed. Specifically, the bit early on where he dances in his room and punches his mirror was scripted by booze - Coppola just kept the cameras rollling while Charlie flipped his wig.

11. How could you have miss one of the best scenes and best lines of the film? "Terminate with extreme prejudice"

12. Well that line was said by the CIA dude as he gave Willard a smoke, not by Harrison Ford's nerdy major. It must have been a memorable line indeed as two of you mentioned it. What did you expect the spook to say? "Kill him with the comfy chair"? Willard being an experienced MACV SOG operative didn't need it spelled out for him. "Terminate the colonel's command"? "With extreme prejudice."

No, no T.S. Elliot references that I remember. Maybe more like J.R.R. Tolkien in spirit as PBR "Street Gang" travels deeper and deeper into Mordor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I was quoting ruckerwocman btw. hence the quotation marks round his word in my post.

14. Of course not; that was a method used by Cardinal Fang.

[​IMG]

He is in the credits.

I should warn you now, you are dealing with Nerds here.