heart condition discharge under medical grounds

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by pancrock, May 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,
    Im after some help and advise. I've not long undergone an operation to have a heart valve replacement (mechanical valve fitted). I am now on warfarin tablets for the rest of my life and have to have regular blood tests to check my INR levels. This was picked up during my two day selection as a minor heart reflux which i was not told about I was just cleared to join the army and that it was a heart murmur. Over my 10 year service I have been to medical center's lots of times saying about chest pains. I have also been a PTI for 6 years and have been medically cleared over the years for lots of other courses. Late last year this was picked up as a major thing and that I would need the operation to save my life because without the operation I would of only had approx 5 years. I have been told that this is a birth defect but think that army life wear and tear has made it worse over the years and also why hasn't it been monitored or picked up sooner.
    I have now been told that I am going to be discharged under medical grounds pap 10 p7 I think this should be a full medical discharge p8.
    Im after advice on what would be the correct course of action with evidence to back it up and also what I might be entitled to financially.
    I have also been told that if this was picked up earlier it might of been repaired and would not be on the warfarin or need the mechanical device till later on in my life. I am in my early 30's and think that this will now restrict me to certain employment when I get out the army.
    I have gone on a bit because I want to be able to put the full events down to get the best possible answers to help me get the best possible outcome.
    thank you for reading and will look forward to any help or advice.
  2. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I can't for the life of me work out why you've put this in the 'Top tips for using ARRSE' thread. Moved.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. To lonely hearts?
  4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Well he's only got one of them, he's not a Time Lord.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. You're a nasty man for putting it in Lonely Hearts.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I thought it was quite funny.
  7. So did I but thought you'd lost it.
  8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Alright, I'll move it then. Miserable buggers.
  9. It was but be a dear and shift it to Health and Fitness.

added on move:

...or Pay, Claims and JPA...
  10. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Ah, but I put it in RHQ as it's more of a discharge process thing than a health thing.
  11. new to the site so wasnt sure what it went on opps
  12. so as my thread been moved or do i have to move it.
    like i say new to the site
  13. It's in the right place now.

Now you just sit and wait. You can press F5 every few minutes or you can explore the site and come back later. There's a button "Quick Links" near the top that'll take you to another button "Subscribed Threads" - that'll help you find your way back here.
  14. Let me get this straight.

The Army figured out that you have a medical condition, and in doing so saved your life. In return, you accuse them of not picking it up sooner and demand that they pay you.

Unless the condition really was worsened by your service and the people who cleared you countless times were negligent (rather than the condition simply being difficult to detect) then my advice is to be grateful for the second chance and crack on with life.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. thank you