Heart attack ,any help would be great

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by tomo13, May 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

Help and guidance requested please.

Six months ago I suffered a Major heart attack with complications, had a couple stents fitted, thankfully I survived and I feel I am one of the lucky ones as I know many of my old friends have died of this condition.

Surprisingly, once the word got out to all my friends how bad my condition was, I was amazed to find so many others had suffered heart attacks.(Army mates)

I am a war pensioner with 70% disability which was awarded to me just before the heart attack, I serve 25 years in the army and left in 1999.

Because I was in dispute about my 70% disability I wrote to the SPVA and is part of my explanation of my condition I stated that I just had a major heart attack.

The SPVA sent me back a nice letter and enclosed a Further Condition Claim Form and ask me to fill it in.

My request is!!!!!! has anybody ever filled in this type of form for a heart attack??? because I have got no idea where to start with it, I just feel like throwing it in the bin.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated

Mark

2. Hi Mark,

DO NOT THROW THE FORM AWAY IT MAY EQUAL MORE CASH.

Phone your local Royal British Legion County Welfare Officer, they will help you complete the form.

If you are in Bucks send me an PM.

Infact send me a PM with your location and I come back with the contact number of your County Rep.

3. Personally I would go to The Royal Britsh Legion County Welfare Officer first as The RBL have had 90 years experience of supporting ex forces personnel.

They also know the correct terminology to use on the forms or known somebody who does.

The devil in the detail.

4. Mark,

It is common to feel that you cant cope with things after major - and life threatening surgery. Don't throw the form away, but get help with it. Calling Citizens Advice is a good idea but can be frustrating as they are often closed for days on end. British Legion or SSAFA are good and you can Google for the nearest branch / welfare officer to you. Failing that and if you don't feel up to it, PM me with your details (a phone number and name will do) and I will get hold of them for you.

5. Mark,

PM me if you need to, I can put you in touch with the specific RBL Officers and a number of orgy experts who can assist you.

Do not go anything without their help, it's not that you can't do it, they know what words to use and where to put them.

The more you use them, the possibility of more money you can get.

6. And I hope you are feeling much better and recovering well

7. Hi Again

Thanks to DB216LOKDVR, ace_of_base_fan, eodmatt and civvymonkey for your advice and guidance.

I have already been down the roads at you have suggested and unfortunately it was a very very frustrating. Sorry I should have explained who I have already been to see when I first started this thread, I will try to keep it short and to the main points let me explain:

I did go to SSAFA, 18 months ago as they have an office only 1 mile from my house, I requested their assistants to explain the benefits I was I entitled to, as my medical condition had deteriorated and I could work no longer because of the pain. I explained the situation to them, (my length of service and exactly what I been diagnosed with) to cut a long story short, all the lady could say was after a quick calculation I was entitled to NOTHING and the SSAFA system is not designed for me, I left their office stating that if the SSAFA system is not designed for the likes of me, then I suggest you find out who it is designed for because you are misleading servicemen, veterans and the people of this country, I have never been back there.

I called my local Royal British Legion last week, I explained my situation about receiving a Further Claim document for a heart attack, and could they offer any advice and guidance on filling it in, the lady was totally confused and did not know what to do she suggested I just put down what I think, I apologised for wasting her time and put the phone down.

Last week I also called in at the Citizens Advise, they also have an office approximately 1 mile from my house, and all the lady could say was she had never come across this before and it would be best if I went and spoke to my doctor.

Talk about frustrating

Eodmatt you are correct about not coping, fortunately I have passed through that now and it's all thanks to a great wife, family and some old Army mates just when you need them.

Going back to the original topic of this thread: has anybody ever filled in this type of form for a heart attack.

Again any help and guidance would be much appreciated

Best regards

Mark

8. "I called my local Royal British Legion last week, I explained my situation about receiving a Further Claim document for a heart attack, and could they offer any advice and guidance on filling it in, the lady was totally confused and did not know what to do she suggested I just put down what I think, I apologised for wasting her time and put the phone down."

I bet you called the local branch and not the RBL office

Legionline is the Legion's information service and helpline which is open to all members of the general public. We are able to provide information on all of the Legion's various activities as well as other Service related issues.

Legionline is open 9am - 4pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays. You can contact us by phone or email:

08457 725 725 (local rate)

From overseas: +44 (0)20 3207 2100 (full rate)

I hope that helps if you live in South Wales PM me and I'll do it for you

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tropper66 is right advoid the clubs for advice go to LEGIONLINE.

If you live in the West Country PM me as my Father-in-Law is a trained RBL CASE OFFICER.

Case Officers will visit you at home or at a location you are happy with.

Don't give up yet, the right person will help you, it just finding the right person.

NOTE; YOU DO NEED TO BE A MEMBER OF THE RBL FOR HELP AND ADVICE ONLY TO HAVE SERVED.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi All

Thanks tropper66 and DB216LOKDVR, the RBL office was the one in Newcastle, unfortunately I am not a member of the RBL as I never thought I needed to be.

I have asked as many people as I can about this situation but nobody I know has ever filled one in for a heart attack!!!!!!

If anybody out there can help it would be much appreciated

Mark

11. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

I don't know where you are, but Surrey's SSAFA were great for me. Try them on Home

12. Take the form to your doctor and ask for advice, think about getting checked for Stress,PTSD,hearing, arthritis sports injuries," uncle tom cobley and all" before you send the form back, ensure that anything remotely connected with your service is on that form, dates times , everything you can think of, just remember bullshit baffles brains on this one, the more info you provide the better

good luck

13. Hi Mark,

I have been in contact with a member of the RBL Riders Branch in the NE.

He recommends you contact the VETERANS AGENCY NE OFFICE at Wallsend.

Telephone details sent by PM.

I hope this is helpful.

The VA may do home visits.