Hearing loss

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by EScotia, Jan 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there anyone on here that can tell me if anyone has successfully challenged SPVA War Pension on Noise Induced Sensoineural Hearing Loss (NISHL) and on what grounds?

I have a tribunal approaching and part of my challenge to the WP award is that for NISHL they used the last audiogram taken before the change to AFCS despite my final date of service being in 2012 from an unrelated medical discharge. I also intend to claim that audiogram measurement undertaken in medical centres is now an outdated and partial measurement compared to that used by the NHS and can be administered by unqualified staff in less than ideal surroundings.

I've since had a full hearing assessment on the NHS and they found I suffered from mild to moderate hearing loss and as a result will be fitted with hearing aids in both ears in Feb.
  2. Say again, over?
  3. Might be funny if I was at junior school, cock.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fixed that for you...
  5. Yes, hearing loss well documented and accepted by SPVA as due to service. What War Pensions have done was use an audiology test from before April 2005 rather than the test undertaken during the preliminaries for my FMB. The latest one indicates H2 / H3 but the much more thorough test done by the NHS shows mild to moderate hearing loss in both ears requiring hearing aids to be fitted.
  6. As funny as a dose of clap. Go play in the NAAFI dullard.
  7. What, like yesterday, then? Lurking doesn't count. Though I must commend you on having the restraint to interrupt with punctuation what I assume must be your sexual preference.
  8. Stop being a dick.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. See the advice given to verdi at #7.
  10. Good luck with it, not uncommon sadly, especially amongst ex REME mechanics, armoured, mortars, etc. I'm wearing a lovely piece, (actually I refuse because I'm a vain bugger), I'm not yet 50' ears have been buggererd for years, I just know there's no point even arguing with the SPVA.
  11. Incidentally, I got a buy from VAC ( Veteran's' Affairs) Canada for the same. Damned ear defenders don't defend much when putting a few dozen rounds through the Scorpion's 76mm.So I'm not just a dick, but a deaf one, too
  12. Hi Escotia,

Did you go to Tribunal? If so what was the outcome?

The rules on Hearing Loss were changed in 1993 because too many veterans were claiming. In order to meet the 20% rule you have to have at 50dbl loss averaged over 1,2 and 3khz in both ears.

The rules are all laid down in Sevice Pension Order 2006: