Hearing Loss - Mortar Platoon (81mm)

Hello everyone, I'm sure that this topic has raised it's ugly head many times before. Has anyone had a similar experience and did you overcome it?
Has anyone experienced this problem, having joined the Army in May 1979 with hearing of H1 H1 and left in Aug 13 due to medical discharge with a number of injuries/conditions, one of the reasons was hearing loss. In the following ears H3 (L) H4 (R) So being medically discharged with this, I obviously thought I would be compensated for loud noise exposure. I was given hearing aids in 2008, because of vanity and embarrassment I chose the aids that fit in the ear rather than over the ear. I served in the Mortar Platoon for several years two of those as a No1 on the mortar with ear defence that was not up to scratch, (little did we know) for the ones old enough to remember them, oil filled pads on amplivox that used to burst and the oil run down the side of the neck.
I got Nil assessment on WPS because my hearing loss was not bad enough in the ranges 1K 2K 3K in both ears, however the line drops of a cliff at 3K and flat lines a 100 dB HL

I'm struggling to understand how they can say that the hearing loss in the high frequencies don't matter, but medically discharge me because of hearing.

Anyone help, I've been to the RBL, who stated due to current legislation, and the fact that I can't hear birds sing nothing can be done.

Any advise Please?

D

Deleted 20555

HOW MANY ROUNDS DID YOU HEAR FIRED DURING YOUR CAREER - I PLAYED WITH MORTARS FOR TEN YEARS AND MY HEARING IS FINE!!

Well... and trying to be "sensible"...

The fact that mortars bugger up your hearing is nothing new.. the wearing of ear protection has been mandatory since at least 1968? Amplivox, if properly maintained, will protect your hearing.. If the seals were broken, did you not think to get them replaced...? At the end of the day it's your hearing... (or not as you are now discovering..!)

The RBL are the accepted experts in the subject.. if they are telling you to soldier on, then perhaps this is the correct answer.. they are not likely to be telling you porkies...! The solution, as you know, are hearing aids.. as supplied free by our great NHS. Whyfor you want compensation?

At least you can hear something.. and have a 100% cast iron excuse for not hearing the high register twittering as created by the female of the species..

Count your blessings..!

J

JWBenett

Count your blessings indeed, the wife's whittering is history. And these days, deaf aids are almost invisible. You get a silly book but free batteries, and discounted rail travel. Free repairs, and foxy audiologists. Cash? I am glad I can still run.

About half a mile on a good day with a good wind.

...I got Nil assessment on WPS because my hearing loss was not bad enough in the ranges 1K 2K 3K in both ears, however the line drops of a cliff at 3K and flat lines a 100 dB HL...
I understand this was an official assessment under the War Pensions Scheme?

Yes, I am at a tribunal in December so trying to get some useful feedback if that's possible. I do have clear evidence of hearing loss throughout my years in the Mortar Plt, but due to the high frequency range they seems the MOD are getting away with it. With not just me but thousands of serving and ex service personnel that have hearing loss.

Perhaps this should serve as a reminder to our younger members - hearing-loss is gradual and insidious, and once lost won't be coming back.

Very true, it's not about money it's the fact after almost 35 years service you are just a number. I was lucky have such a long service but some young soldiers haven't managed to get the right support for their own circumstances. I like many soldiers back then in the late 70s and 80s we did what we were told. We didn't have H&S we had Crown Indemnity. Some of the responses on the forum are immature and pritty shite they should use their energy in helping the less abled, But I did anticipate it. Thanks

Very true, it's not about money it's the fact after almost 35 years service you are just a number.
My bold - some people need to realise that, even when you're in, you're just a number. There is only one person who has your best-interests at heart, and that's you.

Here you go- ear protection on the mortar line 1980- Mk 1 fingers! Note the two medics on the right, and the guys on the tube DO have eardaps on. I would suggest that if the RBL say you don't have a case you are probably SOOL- they have a pretty good grip on things by now.
Old phots 253 (Small).jpg

Latest Threads