Hearing loss and hearing protection

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by chichi, Jan 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    wonder if anyone can help me with the following information?

- did the hearing protection issued to the army change at some point in the 1980s/1990s? I have heard something along the lines of it changing in 1991???
    - if so, when, and from what to what?
    - is there any research about the efficiency of hearing protection issued in the 1980s/1990s, particularly in relation to pistol fire?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help!

2. Research is underway with regards to Noise Induced hearing Loss and how we can protect ourselves. New equipment will be released shortly (first half of this year) which will greatly benefit us in combat and other high noise areas. Wait out, wait out.

3. Hi punk, thanks for your reply

Do you have any info relating to hearing protection previously issued, especially in the 1980s and 1990s?

Thanks!!

4. Flanelette.

5. What firm are you working for? Where theres blame theres a claim eh? MOD an easy quick buck perhaps?

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

There is a very defined cut off point for hearing claims derived from small arms fire.

The method of hearing protection changed in the first half of the eighties (I can't recall the exact year), at which point it became a chargeable offence to not use issued ear defence whilst live firing. Any claim that postdates this is invalid.

This applies to training only, and I could not tell what the regs for two-way ranges are.

If you are thinking of trying to submit a valid claim, I would suggest that it is probably time expired.

7. Mine got messed-up in '86. I've recently had a letter from VA saying it's the MODs fault.........but knob off for any cash as although I now wear hearing aids (issued whilst serving) I'm not deaf enough. Go figure!

8. Defined by whom?

As I understand it you have 5 years from the time you first noticed any hearing loss to submit a claim which will then be considered under the war pension or armed forces compensation scheme depending on the timescale (possibly both), noise induced hearing loss is a strange one because it creeps up on you unawares and is completely irreversible but there should be a clearly defined record by way of hearing tests if your exposure to excessive noise is recognised.

I'm not sure what you are getting it with regard to the cut off either, whether damage was caused prior to or post any disciplinary act requiring the wearing of hearing protection is pretty irrelevant. The employer must demonstrate that they did their utmost to prevent damage to hearing by way of process or equipment when exposure was unavoidable. This may mean that they have to demonstrate the supplied equipment was the best available at the time of issue for example, or that the person whose hearing was being damaged was removed from the exposed environment.

MoD have a well documented "habit" of assessing those with NIHL as less than 20% disabled therefore avoiding the payment of a war pension, in this event there is no other option but to sue the employer for failing in their responsibilities (obviously if it is felt that is the case!) in which case gathering information about issued hearing protection might be important to the case.

If you suffered from a significant hearing loss and tinnitus which was attributed to your time in service, avoidable, recognised by the MoD but uncompensated, you might feel a little aggrieved?

9. Gremlin

The "defined" point (by the MoD) was the introduction of Amplivox in the early eighties, which was designed to greatly improve hearing protection. Therefore if you were not exposed to small arms fire prior to this date...etc

With regards to claims I fully take your point, mine was based on a straight forward PI incident and clearly wrong. NIHL is an entirely different matter to a one off accident.

I also agree with your assessment of the MoD's approach to NIHL. I assume that it is an attempt to try to avoid the situation that the Irish DF found themselves in during the early ninetys (ie swamped with claims).

As an ex Gunner I have low level mid-range hearing loss and occasional tinnitus, which is by no means incapacitating but a bit of a pain whilst in a crowded environment. I would imagine that not being able to claim for a more pronounced loss would be more than a touch irritating.

I apologise for any inaccuracies in my original post, but as I said I was working from memory.

10. Hi there,
    thanks for the replies.
    I don't work for a claim firm, I was asking on behalf of my father who is in the MoD Police and has just been diagnosed with NIHL due to firearms use. He joined the MoD Police in 1984 and they receive the same hearing protection as the Army, and he remembers when they changed over the protecive equipment.
    I will pass on all the info to him, and am really appreciative of your help.
    It's a shame it doesn't seem like he will get anything as due to his job he now has to spend a fortune on a special type of hearing aid as the NHS ones just don't work right in the environment he works in.

Best wishes

11. Gremlin

Don't read that from my post for heavens sake. I was stating what I remember from the army in the eighties; MoD Pol may well have had different regs. Also it sounds as though he started before Amplivox were general issue.
    It may well be worth pursuing, whilst bearing in mind the attitude you are likely to face from the MoD.

Good Luck

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Amplivox werent on general issue untill after 1988 when I left, there were notices about NIHL on part 2 orders and I was issued a set for helicopter flights as I had bad tinitus by then, It was recorded on my medical notes but I have yet to apply for a pension because of it. I understand that I still can apply for a war pension right up until I die for this condition as it never gets better and can only get worse.
    I know that claiming will be an uphill struggle and records wont be available and obstacles will be put in my way. I do shoot still but with protection but most of the damage was helicopters and radio noise with those stupid little plastic plugs that always fell out when field firing despite being held together with string and held in with ear wax.

13. Cheers for that.

14. Spammer, reported.