Hearing damage caused by intense battlefield noise........

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TheBigUn, Oct 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This has always been a problem and the hearing protection offered these days (IMO) is better than what was offered in the Falklands or GW1 for example.

I always wore a foam earplug in my right ear only as my PRR was on my left ear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/3282340/Hundreds-of-troops-returning-from-Afghanistan-suffer-from-hearing-loss.html

I know that PRR isn't exactly suited to use in a loud battlefield environment but a new system, with noise reduction, based on an individually moulded earplug is being developed.

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

My hearing has suffered from working around fast jets,we only got 'used' ear-defs on the squadrons & these were in rag order.sometimes we did get the yellow foam plugs but if you were on the headset to the pilot you could'nt hear him with these in over the noise of the engines!

3. Whut eh!? I was deaf as a post on my return from Telic, so my wife thought - turned out it was just my nagging filter kicking in :D

4. My wah meter was teetering on a movement here, but the auto safety kicked in at LSM.