Healthy Soldier Cookbook

Nonsense. As it stands the vast majority can not self cater in their accomodation and the link you provided simply shows a small sample trial with the caveat that it will be rolled out elsewhere if funds can be found and if Commanders authorise.
What it shows is that for a very small outlay and little time, the vast majority of accommodation can be adapted to allow soldiers to make healthy meals. Some places will be more expensive or uneconomical to adapt.

And why do we have the Apple Crumble Cavalry?

Nonsense. As it stands the vast majority can not self cater in their accomodation and the link you provided simply shows a small sample trial with the caveat that it will be rolled out elsewhere if funds can be found and if Commanders authorise.
Hence the inclusion of the criteria in the cookbook.
If soldiers have modern accommodation with fire compliance then they know if they are allowed to bring in and use additional cooking equipment, if they don’t have those then they know what they are missing, and may just need a fire blanket and first aid kit.
If they have crappy accommodation then they know how little chance they have of self catering.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
What it shows is that for a very small outlay and little time, the vast majority of accommodation can be adapted to allow soldiers to make healthy meals. Some places will be more expensive or uneconomical to adapt.
I think the point is as you say "can be"

Hence the inclusion of the criteria in the cookbook.
If soldiers have modern accommodation with fire compliance then they know if they are allowed to bring in and use additional cooking equipment, if they don’t have those then they know what they are missing, and may just need a fire blanket and first aid kit.
If they have crappy accommodation then they know how little chance they have of self catering.
More nonsense. Soldiers will cook in the block if they are told it is permitted.

Might I very 'umbly suggest that if the MoD wants to be concerned ref Pte Bloggs diet, they scrap PAYD and get proper army Chefs in who can ensure that said Bloggs gets healthy, interesting, scoff in a timely fashion ?

Having read through all the recipes and ingredients involved does anyone really believe that any young squaddie is going to cook anything other than frozen beef burgers or convenience foods?

Oh yus mucker, I just need to add a tablespoon of Greek yogurt, a pinch of garlic powder, a pinch of cinnamon, a pinch of celery salt and some chopped spring onions to the finely chopped deseeded tomatoes, then bung in the chopped chicken breast and pop it in the microwave.

Looks in fridge - 'Oi! - which bastard has lobbed all my stuff and filled the fridge with lager?'

Appliances.
Only specified and
authorised cooking appliances
...are to be used in SLA kitchens,
utility or authorised communal
rooms. Appliances are not to be
left unattended at any time.

I can just see that going down well....

C/Sgt: Pte Twit, why weren't you on parade at 06:00 this moring?

Pte Twit: I was attending my appliance C/Sgt.

I can just see that going down well....

C/Sgt: Pte Twit, why weren't you on parade at 06:00 this moring?

Pte Twit: I was attending my appliance C/Sgt.
When BBC News first moved to their palatial new offices near Regent Street a number of hungry telebrats decided to operate some of the company microwaves located at the brand new feeding stations - at the same time.

The sudden spike in power blew various bits of electrics and in the attendant puff of smoke and sparks, 'The News' was taken off air.

Could a similar issue at Corsham temporarily cause a comms blackout for SIS?

Having read through all the recipes and ingredients involved does anyone really believe that any young squaddie is going to cook anything other than frozen beef burgers or convenience foods?

Oh yus mucker, I just need to add a tablespoon of Greek yogurt, a pinch of garlic powder, a pinch of cinnamon, a pinch of celery salt and some chopped spring onions to the finely chopped deseeded tomatoes, then bung in the chopped chicken breast and pop it in the microwave.

Looks in fridge - 'Oi! - which bastard has lobbed all my stuff and filled the fridge with lager?'
Yes, it's frightfully middle class and Southern. Can you imagine soldiers from RRS preparing these delights?

I see this is an admission that PAYD is the disaster it was always predicted to be.

Otherwise it'd be:

Breakfast
- Go to Cookhouse

Lunch
- Go to Cookhouse

Dinner
-
Go to town and get a takeaway

I can absolutely attest to the fact that my diet is significantly worse now on the absolutely horrendous PAYD offerings and one of the lads recently left after 15 and joined the Prison Service and confirms they get fed better than we do.

Also, the other big driver behind this is probably the amount of fires and false alarms from shitty cooking as the guys attempt to make something better than what's on offer. It's all nonsense. Bring back the skilled (and let's be gen, they were) RLC chefs who could make a kings feast out of whatever was to hand.

I see this is an admission that PAYD is the disaster it was always predicted to be.
Probably the most repeated topic on the site.

SNCOs predicted a disaster but the JRs wanted to control their finances and prove they were grown up. Then it was totally screwed up by the wording of the PAYD contracts, without which the contractors wouldn't have turned enough profit to make the exercise feasible. Alternative food outlets were closed as a result.

I miss the NAAFI vending machines that dispensed hot food 24 hours/day.

Londo

LE

Good easy one for singlies .
Half dozen or 8 frozen Tesco's beef meatballs in a small oven dish . pour a small tin of Heinz spaghetti over , in the oven 25 minutes . Solid soup , filling and nourishing . Grate some cheese on if you wish .

neil82

Old-Salt
any one got a link to the old ACC manual, used to have it on a PDF but lost it when the old PC died, was a good guide to techniques of food prep that I use most days

any one got a link to the old ACC manual, used to have it on a PDF but lost it when the old PC died, was a good guide to techniques of food prep that I use most days
I got my copy from a link on ARRSE 10+ years since. Try searching as mine is about 4 laptops back in history.

Wife wouldn't make anything from it because it doesn't have photos.

Good easy one for singlies .
Half dozen or 8 frozen Tesco's beef meatballs in a small oven dish . pour a small tin of Heinz spaghetti over , in the oven 25 minutes . Solid soup , filling and nourishing . Grate some cheese on if you wish .

Do you spot a tiny problem with that serving suggestion?

Londo

LE

Latest Threads