Healthy Soldier Cookbook

This seems interesting and has pictures:

Or it would if I knew how to link it... ...p'raps some kind ARRSE soul would do the honours.

Google the thread title and select the pdf result.

Fantastic Brekkie menu.

Whatever happened to a bowl of cereal and a slice of toast ?
Only surprise is that it doesn't follow the format of the Battlefield First Aid aide-memoire.
Check cupboard - any eggs?
Yes - go to page 6, egg recipes.
No - go to next page.

Basil Fawlty

War Hero
I had the misfortune to experience the Warrior Breakfast at Catterick. Can I have bacon, sausage, mushrooms and some tomatoes, please? Sorry you can only have eggs. I don't eat eggs.............................................. McDonalds it was.

so the lads/esses have something to cook with in the block now?
Possibly

The first edition of the cookbook covered recipes that could use the ‘snack preparation area’ microwave and hob.

A trial took place on additional items, and they can now be used in the block - (provided the right fire precautions are in place)
The newer edition covers recipes that use the additional items

Remind me, where are these meals meant to be prepared? And are the requirements laid out on page three the responsibility of the individual soldier?

If you are hungry go Ginsters, want a hot meal? Go Greggs.
Safety requirements are the MoDs responsibiltiy

‘Appliances’ 1-3 are issue items (Toaster are not entitled items within SLA, but it’s been common for them to be issued anyway. People have believed they were an entitlement and issued them anyway)

The George Forman style grill, rice cooker, electric wok, steamer & blender are down to individuals.

Cooking can take place in the appropriate snack prep/kitchenette area

1. Kettle.
2. Toaster.
3. Conventional microwave.
4. Low fat grill.
5. Rice cooker.
6. Electric wok.
7. Tiered vegetable steamer.
8. Blender.

This formalises the previous policy where cooking could take place if permitted by the local commander, and in practice it was often the case that cooking was banned - so it happened anyway in ‘secret’

morsk

LE
Only surprise is that it doesn't follow the format of the Battlefield First Aid aide-memoire.
Check cupboard - any eggs?
Yes - go to page 6, egg recipes.
No - go to next page.
Which is all cool and groovy, except there is NO cooking in the accommodation at our location.

French Toast in a mug? Fcuk right off. Mac n Cheese? Its fcukin Maccaroni Cheese you wannabe hispster spazmos

morsk

LE
And while I think about it, shouldn't the 'Save as you starve' menu be a healthy one? Why would we pay an outside catering firm to feed us shit and then charge us for the privilege. OR feed ourselves food that isnt shite at an inflated price

Yes, I know its subsidised but thats hardly the point

Safety requirements are the MoDs responsibiltiy
So why put it in a cookbook?

1. Kettle.
2. Toaster.
4. Low fat grill.
5. Rice cooker.
6. Electric wok.
8. Blender.

All with plugs cut off of course

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Cinnamon Maple Quinoa sounds very military...

So why put it in a cookbook?
So that Private Bloggs knows why he can or can’t self cater in his accommodation without having to find a copy of the original announcement
1. Kettle.
2. Toaster.
4. Low fat grill.
5. Rice cooker.
6. Electric wok.
8. Blender.

All with plugs cut off of course
.... and also so Private Bloggs knows whether he is being fucked around or not

So that Private Bloggs knows why he can or can’t self cater in his accommodation without having to find a copy of the original announcement
Nonsense. As it stands the vast majority can not self cater in their accomodation and the link you provided simply shows a small sample trial with the caveat that it will be rolled out elsewhere if funds can be found and if Commanders authorise.

Latest Threads