Healthy and Tasty

This isn't a thread on Megan Foxx, sorry.

Basically after an injury sustained earlier this year combined with me being a jack, beer swilling bastard, I have decided I am getting on another health purge.

I have given up the booze for now completely and started back on the protein shakes/creatine for a bit of extra muscle mass that I am wanting. I probably have about 0.5st of excess weight that I want to get rid of before I am able to start toning up, so I have a good cardio regime set up at the gym, alternating days between cardio and upper body stuff.

My main problem is finding things that are healthy that actually taste reasonably nice. I can't just sit there and eat plain pasta and chicken, for instance, because after a week of that it gets boring for any person, I imagine. I see lots of advice on here of what to base your diet on (skinless chicken, pasta, fresh steamed veg etc.) but not actually how you can fit that into a diet in a tasty way.

For instance, I am having a small bowl of whole grain pasta for lunch along side some cold skinless chicken or tuna, however this is rather boring and bland. Is it possible to eat healthily whilst retaining food that tastes nice and therefore gives you a bit of morale? Any recommended recipes that give a high protein diet that isn't just eating a raw steak every day?

Cheers in advance for any help, apologies for the long post.

Just to add, this may be better suited to the Cookery forum, wasn't too sure which it'd be better posted under.

You can have what you want so long as you have it with Salad.

I had Haagen Daaz with some lettuce and a Fully loaded Whopper for lunch.

Diets are for girls. Pies are for men, just have them with cucumber

Whiskey_60 said:
Spaff in the pasta?
Ah, sorry, I forgot to mention I am not a slop jockey. Food shouldn't contain spaff or bum scrapings.

0.5 stone!?! Wouldn't even bother dieting personally, just cutting the beer, junk and a few good pace runs will get that off in no time.

Shortty said:
0.5 stone!?! Wouldn't even bother dieting personally, just cutting the beer, junk and a few good pace runs will get that off in no time.
I'm wanting to diet to get some muscle mass on too, along with hating the feeling of my body after I eat hunhealthy shite.

Maybe we have different ideas of tasty but I like the following:

Breakfasts:

Scrambled/poached eggs on wholemeal toast (no butter)
Museli (seriously - you get used to it. Now I look forward to it!) I often use protein shake as milk to up my intake

"healthy" fry-up: Eggs, Toast, Mushrooms, fat-free (ish) sausage, turkey bacon, tomato - All grilled (except mushrooms and eggs but no oil used)

Lunches:

Ham, salad sandwich - Hovis bread with loads of seeds on it, with extra-light mayo instead of marg/butter

Peanut butter sandwich - f*cking love 'em!

Extras - low fat humous/cottage cheese with celery/peppers etc. pickled onions, olives

Dinner:

Good old Roast Dinner!! - roast chicken - breast meat, no skin, bisto gravy, minimal fat to cook potatoes, steamed carrots, broccoli etc.

Salmon - cooked with peppers, mushroom and onion, garlic, ginger and season - wrap in a foil parcel. Eat with salad or veg.

Baked Beans with loads of tobasco or BBQ sauce - use the low salt/sugar ones.

Christ, I could go on... Basically, steam and grill, use seasonings but no sauces with fat in them. bulk on loads of fresh veg and fruit.

Now my mouth's watering.. I wonder if there's any doughnuts left in the kitchen.

Ace_Rimmer said:
Maybe we have different ideas of tasty but I like the following:

Breakfasts:

Scrambled/poached eggs on wholemeal toast (no butter)
Museli (seriously - you get used to it. Now I look forward to it!) I often use protein shake as milk to up my intake

"healthy" fry-up: Eggs, Toast, Mushrooms, fat-free (ish) sausage, turkey bacon, tomato - All grilled (except mushrooms and eggs but no oil used)

Lunches:

Ham, salad sandwich - Hovis bread with loads of seeds on it, with extra-light mayo instead of marg/butter

Peanut butter sandwich - f*cking love 'em!

Extras - low fat humous/cottage cheese with celery/peppers etc. pickled onions, olives

Dinner:

Good old Roast Dinner!! - roast chicken - breast meat, no skin, bisto gravy, minimal fat to cook potatoes, steamed carrots, broccoli etc.

Salmon - cooked with peppers, mushroom and onion, garlic, ginger and season - wrap in a foil parcel. Eat with salad or veg.

Baked Beans with loads of tobasco or BBQ sauce - use the low salt/sugar ones.

Christ, I could go on... Basically, steam and grill, use seasonings but no sauces with fat in them. bulk on loads of fresh veg and fruit.

Now my mouth's watering.. I wonder if there's any doughnuts left in the kitchen.
Thanks for that, a helpful post at last. :D

Scrambled eggs - should I be taking the yolk out? Love egg yolk.

T

Tremaine

Leaflets?:
There you go:

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/upload/BNF%20Healthy%20Eating(5).pdf
Enter smart+rse stage left:

Anyone for Spuds & Beans &Sausages? Apparently, Potatoes are fookin nutrient rich loaded with vitamins & minerals, they are virtually fat free & when you cook them in their skins they are a source of fibre. A spud baked in its skin contains more fibre than two slices of wholemeal bread. They also have advantages over rice & pasta.typical serving of potatoes contains approx the following daily values:
Vitamin C 44%, vitamin B1 16%, Vitamin B6 29%, Potassium 22%, Iron 20%, Fibre 14%, Magnesium 11%, Folate 16%, Calories 6% & Fat 0.7%.
This in turn creates strong bones & teeth (not false teeth!), a healthy nervous system, controls blood pressure, maintain low calories, keeps the blood healthy, releases energy, provides fuel for the brain & keeps the bowels moving. :p

Standard Baked Beans and Sausages in Tomato Sauce apparently have good energy-, protein and carb values, but a bit high in salt and sugar too. Apparently. :p

Exit smart+rse stage right :arrow:

SPICY TURKEY BURGERS

450g/1lb turkey mince
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1-2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 spring onions, finely chopped

1) Mix the turkey mince, dark soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, lemon zest and juice, spring onions and salt and ground black pepper until well combined.
2) Divide into 4 and shape into burgers
3) Cook under a hot grill for approx 8 minutes each side.
4) Serve with salad.

per burger
125 calories
26g protein
1g carbohydrate
2g fat
1g saturated fat

I like mine very spicy so tend to add extra finely chopped chillis

Thanks for the info/recipe :D

I experimented myself in the kitchen tonight and made something rather nice.

200g skinless chicken breast
1 cup wholegrain pasta
Broccoli
Asparagus
1 large clove garlic
1tsp lazy Chilli
1tsp chopped ginger
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
tabasco sauce
Salt
Black pepper

Simple really. I cooked up the pasta in salted water, steamed the broccoli/asparagus. As these were both cooking, I grilled 200g of chicken breast in the olive oil, crushed garlic, chili and chopped ginger. The olive oil is only a tiny amount to help release the flavours from the garlic/chili/ginger. I made sure the chicken was evenly coated in the oil and other ingredients so it gave it a rather nice taste.

Once the chicken was cooked, chopped it up in to smaller pieces and stuck it in with the pasta. Chopped the veg up and threw that in as well, added tabasco sauce, salt and black pepper to taste.

All in all it took me 15 mins including preparation, 11 mins for the pasta, 8 minutes for asparagus/broccoli and 8 minutes on a medium heat for the chicken.

So in answer to my own question: Stop being a lazy cnut Dr_Chris, just try being inventive.

So in answer to my own question: Stop being a lazy cnut Dr_Chris, just try being inventive
yeah, that's about the size of it!

As an added bonus, a bit of time and experimenting in the kitchen means that I can whip up quite a good meal for the missus, which earns me no-end of brownie points - good fun when I cash them in.

Oh and as for egg yolks, if you take them out you are left with pretty much pure protein but then you're also left with a bowl of what looks like harry monk. I say leave them in - they taste nice.

Use some tasty herb's and spice's to add more flavour.
Vegetable lasagna is quite yum.