Health & Safety trumps Human Rights

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OriginalSnowy, Apr 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to the Army's Values and Standards, individuals will not be discriminated against due to marital status.

Why is it, then, that I may smoke and keep alcohol in my pad, but singlies can't do the same in the block?

I walked past an accommodation block the other day and it was plastered with signs saying 'it is illegal to smoke in this building' OWTTE.

Surely, a clash of New Labour ideologies (HRA versus H&S) there? :?

2. Because the block is classed as a "public" place and i dont want to move into a room that a smoker has been in!!!

3. Can I be the first to say...

"If you don't like it, sign off" Or get married. Or live out.

It is illegal to smoke in any public or multi occupancy building (except, I believe prisons). The CO/QM can, however, designate certain single occupancy barrack rooms as smoking rooms.

As for the Alkihole... that is one of those rules that is only enforced at most places when someone runs amok.

4. Re-read my original post: I am a pad.

I just hate G4 Nazis.

5. How many f*cking times do we have to go around these same old circles.

Been done to death loads of times

What the f*ck has enforcing Human rights and H&S legislation got to do with G4 nazis or should we only enforce rules that you agree with, what if someone else disagrees.

Are your opinions more important than someone elses :?

Happy Easter by the way :D

6. Where does G4 come into this? The non-smoking rules are law. The alcohol rules will be applied locally. For example there is a set amount of drink that can be kept in SLA on my barracks.

Edited to add that quite clearly CAARPS beat me to it!

7. Just pointing out a disparity... and the fact that singlies are being discriminated against.

8. H & S do sometimes score own goals. Farmer wanted to take school kids round his farm. Had to have H & S check. All OK until farmer and he got to field where his herd of pedigree
    Highland cattle were. As farmer opened the gate, the inspector pulled him back and said he was not going into the field. He further explained that all the Highland cattle would have to have horns removed before the kids came within miles of the farm.

9. Another thing, our Singlies can keep alchohol on the block as long as its within moderation etc. This is kept in check with SNCO's going around blocks as per those G4 type directives!!
    No sympathy with smokers, in fact i was the one that pointed out that the Smoking Areas were too close to the windows and doors of the lads accom and got them moved! :twisted:

10. You should have smoking only designated accomodation. Then all non smokers would be required to live a (minimum) set distance away (in a field). They can have all the fresh air they like then. As for alcohol. it should be banned. NO ONE should be allowed to drink. like the fairer sex, it is evil and greedy, and as history has shown (on more han one occaision) the downfall of all mankind.

On a more serious note, I would imagine (since the changes in law regarding smoking/public places) that allowing smoking areas (within accomodation) would create huge insurance headaches. I do agree (in principle) with the concerns about alcohol being allowed in accomodation. It is a difficult one too. I can see the issues though.....I have lived in a block full of young singlies. Sometimes draconian measures are indeed required, I guess it depends on the 'living in' NCO's.

Then again, we used to have some megga block parties.

11. You should have smoking only designated accomodation. Then all non smokers would be required to live a (minimum) set distance away (in a field). They can have all the fresh air they like then. As for alcohol. it should be banned. NO ONE should be allowed to drink. like the fairer sex, it is evil and greedy, and as history has shown (on more han one occaision) the downfall of all mankind.

On a more serious note, I would imagine (since the changes in law regarding smoking/public places) that allowing smoking areas (within accomodation) would create huge insurance headaches. I do agree (in principle) with the concerns about alcohol being allowed in accomodation. It is a difficult one too. I can see the issues though.....I have lived in a block full of young singlies. Sometimes draconian measures are indeed required, I guess it depends on the 'living in' NCO's.

Then again, we used to have some megga block parties.

12. Is a bloke's room in the block really a public place? Does it really come under current legislation?

To all those who say "it's the law", I say show me the caselaw!

(edited for mongy spelling)

13. In fairness to you OS I believe the MoD had an exemption for SLA with it being classed as accommodation. However it enforced the no smoking rules over all SLA as they are also places of work for cleaners and other staff.

14. No - you are a dullard mong who is evidently married to someone equally boring - otherwise you'd not have raised such a dull point in such a petty way.

It is MoD regulations - not law.

A spokeswoman for the army said: "When the smoking legislation comes into force, there will be a total ban in all British military facilities. Although barracks are areas of accommodation, they also serve as a working environment for staff and cleaners, so smoking will not be allowed there.

15. A bit harsh to call someone a "dullard mong" for questioning MoD policy on its differing treatment of people whether you agree with it or not.