Health & Safety gets the better of Royal Marines

Yes to be honest, that is a while a go this is more like the scenario now on an aircraft carrier
A very safe place indeed.
What's an aircraft carrier?

The people who annoy me are those who simply go along with it. What would have happened if the Marines had smiled politely, done as requested during rehearsals, then fast-roped in and slotted the pirates for the performance?

Would anything worse have happened than a snotty letter to the MOD and no invite the following year?
Wouldn't be much of a Military Tattoo then would it?

Health and Safety are still smarting from being fucked off that they couldn't enforce EU working regulations in the Outdoor activities sector.
they continued for quite a while even though the idea was bollocks.
a non slip surface and only climb in good weather on a crag in the lake district really?
At one point the equality people were trying to have a riverside footpath near me made accessible to all. This would have meant removing kissing gates, laying a path & so on the costs of which were to fall on the landowner. Naturally the landowner either couldn't afford this or didn't want to spend the cash so he was nearly done for discrimination & the path closed to all.

Believe it or not H&S have actually band very little over the years, they have however given guidance on best safe practice, however this is always open to interpretation by the H&S mongs.
The H&S advisor I worked with in a Regional Formation was a bit of an odd fellow, but he was well and truly onside to see what we could do rather than saying what we couldn't.

What's an aircraft carrier?
Ask tropper. He found a way to make Leonardo's flying machines land on boats & the rest is history.

TARA

Old-Salt
Its not a Military Tattoo now, its a music show.

RMA1

War Hero
Back in '88-89 the booties did exactly the same and on the last night one of the jocks absailed down with them in full No 2 Dress, Kilt an all, and Brogues aint exactly made for absailing !!, Also an arty lad got his leg broken when brining the gun into action. No H&S that night eh!!

Load of clipboard carrying *********!!.

At work we were told that "you can't go round the back to open the doors on the trailers" ok professor how do you get the load off if you can't go round to open the door's then!!.

Fools!!

Historic Scotland's H&S bod is clearly not competent to risk assess this scenario, and their management aren't bright enough to realise it. Fast roping is dangerous.......if you're doing it for real onto a live target, but under controlled conditions........onto a playing field? Puh-lease!

Get these H&S wallahs to deploy as the advance party to FOBs next time the Booties deploy on Herrick.
Joining instructions to include, "bring your own ipod & rubber gloves. No cell phones".

Get these H&S wallahs to deploy as the advance party to FOBs next time the Booties deploy on Herrick.
Joining instructions to include, "bring your own ipod & rubber gloves. No cell phones".
I can just see it. "Oooh, those benches improvised out of pallets & ammo boxes. They won't do at all. Someone could get a nasty splinter and hurt him/her/transgendered self..."

Before you fire that rifle have you done the correct course and you DO know that they can hurt some one. Oh and have you done a manual handling course before you pick up that bergen.

biffins-bridge

War Hero
To be honest this is a bit of a non-story anyway. The Edinburgh Tattoo is run as a limited company with a Board of Directors and staff, and has charitable status. If H&S advice is given they simply could not ignore it - if they did and someone was killed then employees of the tattoo company and the Board could be liable for gross negligence manslaughter. That aside, I was at the tattoo on Friday and the fact that the assaulters abseiled down the castle wall and didn't fast rope in took nothing away from the spectacle. The average civvy in the crowd would not know or indeed have noticed the difference between abseiling and fast ropeing anyway, plus a gantry or crane structure would have had be be brought into what is already a very tight performance area to fast rope from.

To be honest this is a bit of a non-story anyway. The Edinburgh Tattoo is run as a limited company with a Board of Directors and staff, and has charitable status. If H&S advice is given they simply could not ignore it - if they did and someone was killed then employees of the tattoo company and the Baord could be liable for gross negligence manslaughter. That aside, I was at the tattoo on Friday and the fact that the assaulters abseiled down the castle wall and didn't fast rope in took nothing away from the spectacle. The average civvy in the crowd would not know or indeed have noticed the difference between abseiling and fast ropeing anyway, plus a gantry or crane structure would have had be be brought into what is already a very tight performance area to fast rope from.
Do you mind? Have you not noticed we're all 'on one'?

Sounds like another mailygraph non-story to me, with the truth being in the final sentence - not wanting to damage the castle.

Health 'n safety gawn mad etc etc.

To be honest this is a bit of a non-story anyway. The Edinburgh Tattoo is run as a limited company with a Board of Directors and staff, and has charitable status. If H&S advice is given they simply could not ignore it - if they did and someone was killed then employees of the tattoo company and the Board could be liable for gross negligence manslaughter. That aside, I was at the tattoo on Friday and the fact that the assaulters abseiled down the castle wall and didn't fast rope in took nothing away from the spectacle. The average civvy in the crowd would not know or indeed have noticed the difference between abseiling and fast ropeing anyway, plus a gantry or crane structure would have had be be brought into what is already a very tight performance area to fast rope from.
Did they "kill" the pirates?

Sounds like another mailygraph non-story to me, with the truth being in the final sentence - not wanting to damage the castle.

Health 'n safety gawn mad etc etc.
I know the Royal Marines are Nails, but I doubt even they could destroy Edinburgh Castle just by fast-roping...:roll:

Perhaps we need to damage the castle a bit to deny it as a last redoubt to Wee Eck, PDD & their tartan hordes when they try to break up the Union.

IMHO the Tattoo parade ground would make a grand place for the hanging, drawing and quarterings after the revolt & if they were scheduled for just after the tournament another load of tickets could be sold. I bet the seat hire company wouldn't charge that much extra for an extra night.

Perhaps we need to damage the castle a bit to deny it as a last redoubt to Wee Eck, PDD & their tartan hordes when they try to break up the Union.

IMHO the Tattoo parade ground would make a grand place for the hanging, drawing and quarterings after the revolt & if they were scheduled for just after the tournament another load of tickets could be sold. I bet the seat hire company wouldn't charge that much extra for an extra night.
I hope the hangman's completed a "working at heights" course.

Latest Threads