Health & Safety: Done my NEBOSH - What else should I do?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by biffchit, May 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Just done the NEBOSH course (General Cert) so I am now looking to do some other H&S stuff so I have a good chance of being employable when I get out. Are there any H&S guru's out there that can give me some good advice?

    Cheers :)
  2. Don't know about guru, but anything SHE or audit orientated would be good. You should consider also something like DGSA or any other weird qual - you're trying to stand out amongst the rest. Just remember that although you may have a NEBOSH certificate, that unless you've been doing it for real, then you have no experience, so target your CV to that sort of level - if you send in a CV full of courses and quals, then they will wonder what you've been doing for the past few years.
  3. You've got to actually apply it to something now!
  4. Biffchit, I've just finished mineand like Mover and The Gimp said,you now need at least 2-3 years in a Safty position before anybody will look at you.Luckily enough I'm in a position where I have a Safety role and will develop my skills and courses round it.It's a catch 22 really.
  5. That wasn't a negative post by the way,
  6. How about doing a masters degree in that field.
  7. Contact IOSH (Institute of Occupational Safety and Health), You should go on to do part 2 of the cert, but as everyone has said you will need to have on the job experiance.
  8. if you want to get on the H&S ladder i would suggest you do your diploma, the general cert is ok but will just about make you a workers rep in a company if you are lucky
  9. I agree start work on the Diploma in Safety Management or Environmental Protection, both fairly bone but attracked a better wage in civvie street.

    However normal catch 22 no experience no job.
  10. I was advised to steer clear of IOSH but my instructor after doing my NEBOSH so i have, but each to their own.

    hope it works out for you.

  11. Next step after the foundation NEBOSH Cert is The NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety followed by the NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety Practice.

    NEBOSH Certificate is a recognised qualification for Associate Membership of IOSH when employed in a H&S training/post.

    NEBOSH Diploma is a recognised qualification for Membership of IOSH when coupled with 12 months work experience.
  12. Inf/MP's suggestion is a good one biffchit. Undertaking an Applied qualification in which you have to do a Thesis calls for hands-on-experience and most large educational establishments have a pool of companies which they have links to and can get you in to do your research. It's another way of getting your foot through the door and you are in the right place at the right time when vacancies become available. This is just an example but it gives you the gist of what is out there:
  13. Thats all very good PK, But you need to start a little lower in the food chain! That Masters Degree course requires:

    While a NEBOSH Diploma (Which is a HND) would in fact qualify as a access to a Masters Degree Course, better still if coupled with work experience which is needed anyway! A NEBOSH Certificate would not! But would be classed as an access point for a lower degree or dipoma course.

    Most collages will help you find a work placement.

    Health and safety is a hard industry to get into, and IOSH membership really is needed as most employers recognise it,

    Accredited courses include:

    Relevant degrees, diplomas and postgraduate courses offered at universities throughout the country
    British Safety Council (BSC) Awards Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health
    National Examinations Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) Level 6 National Diploma in Health and Safety
    NVQ/SVQ Level 4 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice.

    Has a fairly good explanation on carrier progression. Even if I do not aprove of LearnDiriect itself!

    There are no real shortcuts in the Health & Safety Field I am sorry to say......
  14. Have you considered doing the NEBOSH construction cert. Woodwards (see Quest) do a conversion from Gen - construction This is the recognised qual for the building industry. There is plenty of work out here in civvie street in the HSE world. Lots of the more experienced guys in the south seem to be on T5 or in Dubai.
    A little bit of poetic license on the CV and a sharp suit will get you in the door!! Have a look at some of the HSE job agencies like principle people etc

    Im not sure what part 2 of the cert is. I think you may be getting confused with part 1 & 2 of the diploma which has now been superseded by the level 6 diploma.

    Dont believe that. Weve got blokes on £30 000 + with NEBOSH cert. Ive just taken a bloke on whos come from a job earning £37000 with NEBOSH cert.
  15. It is a Masters programme Mike_2817 but that really is the top qualification you gain if you decide to do all the credits to complete the course (P.G.Cert., P.G.Dip., then the MS.c.) and if you feel your skills are lacking or just out of date, you can always opt for the pre-course programme which will bring you up to speed before you make any real commitment anyway.

    As for the qualifications (and this is just my opinion) they have to set a bench mark somewhere but I don't know any University who doesn't pop a backtracking one liner in somewhere that states that mature students* who don't have the necessary qualifications will be considered. My approach is pick up the phone, ask the question and take it from there.

    Sure, have no disagreement from me on the value of having the necessary and appropriate experience for a H&S position (well, for any vacancy coming to that!). :D

    *Not sure but think some Institutes now class anyone over 25 as mature.