Health row deepens

Seems to be heating up now :lol:

The woman at the centre of a political row over the repeated cancellation of a shoulder operation has denied she was being used as a pawn.
Margaret Dixon, 69, from Cheshire, said she was "disappointed" the health secretary had not met her on Thursday to discuss her situation.

John Reid said he would not visit Mrs Dixon's home in Penketh, near Warrington, until the Tories had left.

Michael Howard has written to Dr Reid, saying he has lied about Tory policies.

Mrs Dixon has said she had a shoulder replacement operation cancelled seven times by Warrington General Hospital, which has a two-star rating.

But the North Cheshire Hospitals NHS Trust chief executive Ian Dalton said her procedure had only been cancelled three times.

Dr Reid visited the hospital on Thursday, speaking to patients and staff.

He said he wanted to visit Mrs Dixon's home, but would not do so as he had been told Tory aides were there, issuing instructions on her behalf.

He said: "I would of course wish to discuss their health cares.

Mrs Dixon praised hospital staff, but says the system failed her
"I would not of course wish to take part in a political stunt run by the Conservative Central Office."

He said Mr Howard had made the NHS a "key battleground" of the forthcoming election campaign.

'Damage limitation'

Upon hearing that Dr Reid would not see her, Mrs Dixon said: "I am very disappointed that, given John Reid was in Warrington, he did not come round.

"To me it looks as though Dr Reid is making a damage limitation visit."

She denied she was being used as a political football.

"I certainly don't feel like I've been kicked. I wanted to highlight my particular problem in order that I could get the operation that I need."

Mr Howard met Mrs Dixon's family in London
Tory spokesman for the North West of England Chris Davenport said he had spent the day at Mrs Dixon's home because his party had "set this running".

"All we have been doing is meeting the press and media and trying to sort out queues for phone calls and interviews so Mrs Dixon can speak to people," he said.

Mr Howard met Mrs Dixon's husband and daughter at his London home on Thursday morning.

'Lies'

On Thursday night, he released to the media a letter he had written to Dr Reid asking him to withdraw recent statements about Tory policy.

"You say I would 'introduce a system ... that would charge us all for our operations'," Mr Howard wrote.

"As you know perfectly well, that is a lie. No one will be charged for NHS treatment in this way," he added.

The health secretary issued a statement in which he said he "stood by" his comments.

"Tory charging is the centre piece of their health policy. We will tell the truth about Tory health policy everyday up to the general election."

Liberal Democrats health spokesman Paul Burstow said the case had become an unseemly row.

"The losers in this game are patients who at short notice find their operation cancelled, or who pick up an infection because of the rush to use the bed again," he said.
I was watching the news and Reid had the cheek to state that less than 1% of Ops were cancelled 8O

In what country was he talking about, this one or another one :roll:

I'd be more impressed by whichever side put her in one of their limos and took her off to the nearest BUPA hospital.
I also seem to remember B Liar saying that if NHS couldn't cope, they were entitled to use private medical resources?

That would be as good as today's soundbite about educating kids in groups of 5 or 6. If we can't get enough teachers to teach classes of less than 30, how in hell's name to you suddenly reduces those groups by a factor of 5!

It seems Mrs Dixon's Op has been cancelled because she needs a high dependency bed ,for her "dicky ticker",perhaps the fact shes about 15 stone over weight has somthing to do with this ? solution loose 10 stone and go in for a routine Op and leave the HDB for a real emergancy ( and the daughter could cut down on the pasties too) :evil:

ugly

LE
1% of ops cancelled my arse My 2i/c had to have her gravel removed (gall stones) and was cancelled twice in 2 months. Second time I kicked off and 20 minutes later we were called by another ward offering us a bed!

hibby said:
It seems Mrs Dixon's Op has been cancelled because she needs a high dependency bed ,for her "dicky ticker",perhaps the fact shes about 15 stone over weight has somthing to do with this ? solution loose 10 stone and go in for a routine Op and leave the HDB for a real emergancy ( and the daughter could cut down on the pasties too) :evil:
Why not go for culling of all those who do not meet your high standards? Who are you to know why she is queen size? Just as reasonable for me to say that your lack of intellect is due to your being the product of incest.

ugly

LE
OldRedCap said:
hibby said:
Why not go for culling of all those who do not meet your high standards? Who are you to know why she is queen size? Just as reasonable for me to say that your lack of intellect is due to your being the product of incest.
whilst were being touchy what about the mong thread. Admittedly I pissed myself but havin kids it does hurt more than just around the ribs!

This is my first post so sorry if its a wee bit contentious.
Fiona Bruce, Conservative councillor for Penketh, Margaret Dixon's ward, and Conservative parliamentary candidate for South Warrington knew about Mrs Dixon in November of last year, Mr Howard had a meeting with Fiona Bruce in Warrington in December of last year.
Just a couple of questions, why did'nt Fiona Bruce ( "known for her " Northern grit "" )bring up Mrs Dixon's problems with Mr Howard? if she did, then why did'nt Mr Howard kick up a fuss then? Mrs Dixon, according to her account, had at that time, December, had her operation cancelled 5 times.
I am not saying Mrs Dixon's account is right or wrong, I just wonder why Fiona Bruce and Mr Howard did not show their deep concern and compassion at that time thus saving Mrs Dixon 3 months of pain and suffering. :?

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with an election coming up could it???? or is that just me being synical???

The only way to get anything done, in my experience with the NHS is to ring them constantly, was actually advised to do so by my old G.P. who said ring them up at least once a week, eventually they will get so fed up they will find you a bed............... This was years ago when I was experiencing difficulty with my mobility, due to cartilage trouble....... Can't see that much has changed :roll: :roll:

Whats up my old monkey ? you wouldn't be on the porky side yourself by any chance :twisted: ... what is it glands ,big bones, or sat on your arse watching other bods do the work?.....and as for my pedigree at least i knew who my old man was :wink:

Happy Trucking 8)