Health check

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by DieHard, Aug 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

I just spent a short time in harefield heart hospital and was told by a consoltunt and various doctors and nurses that heart diseaese is killing old soldiers of left right and centre me included but what they said next got me worried.
    It seems that personel serving in afghanistan after repeated spells are now showing signs of heart problems mostly from af irregular heartbeats, my heart is fcukd big time and they say for me its herreditary but for a a lot of recently retired squaddies the new lack of stress in there lives is having an adverse affect on them. So if your a senior about to leave with some stressfull tours behind you get your ticker checked out, mine was found looking for something else soi got lucky other people may not be so lucky so when you retire get a check up often and ask for an ecg when you do you never know it may save your life.
  2. It's actually "health", mucker. Just thought you'd like to know. :)

3. Edited to add: too late again. :D
  4. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Bit hard to remember how to spell with the wonderfull morphine running through my veins , but thanks anyway
  5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

It isn't a new phenomenon. After I transferred from a hectic front line BAOR recce lifestyle to the RAPC for a gentle shiny-arrsed slide into civvy street, I found myself one of six senior NCOs volunteered to carry the coffin of a recently-retired WO2.

In conversation with the shiny-arrses while we did coffin-carrying training (not something that happened every day in those days), one of them (might have been the RSM at Worthy Down in charge of us) suggested that even RAPC WO2s, a lot of them didn't last six months after retirement.

Pleased to say it's 20 years tomorrow since I got out and the only Cardio-Vascular Disease problems I have are down to old age.