Headley Court rehabilitation centre to close

This may be old news to some but should be of particular interest to fellow ARRSE Ashtead street-walkers who campaigned (in the face of certain NIMBY opposition) for planning permission to establish SSAFA's Norton House to accommodate families visiting their injured relatives. Still got the 17-0 tee-shirt (polo shirt actually) reflecting the council decision in our favour. Quite a night. Sigh... they were the days:

Dorking & Leatherhead Advertiser 10 July 2014 said:
HEADLEY Court is to close the Ministry of Defence has announced.

The centre, which provides rehabilitation for injured armed forces personnel, will be replaced by a new £300m Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre based at Stanford Hall, near Loughborough. The new centre will be funded by donors led by the Duke of Westminster, who bought the stately home in 2011. The Ministry of Defence said the new centre would be of "great value".

Residents around Headley have voiced their concerns over what will become of the 84-acre site if it should close. The facility, which currently cares for 20,000 injured members of the armed forces, houses four gymnasiums, a swimming pool and hydrotherapy bath, several laboratories and residential halls.

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Will they move the swimming pool as well?

Just read that elsewhere, apparently the new place is going to be open to civvies as well. :scratch:

By Christ they cant wait can they?

Just read that elsewhere, apparently the new place is going to be open to civvies as well. :scratch:
I'm pretty sure that has been knocked on the head. It just wouldn't work.

Suspect, its now moving so that the erst-while residents of the S/E wont have to face wounded service personal, now that the War is over (almost). Paving the way for a complete cut to the meager funding that the Government pays for such services.

Thus swiftly returning us back to the days when they didn't give a toss about what soldiers did or did not do, so long as they didn't have to see them.

What are they going to do with HC ? As the MOD doesn't own it.
No government money invested in Stanford Hall, And will now be a Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre. Whilst I don't begrudge civies benefiting, it sound like getting rehab on the cheep for the government.
Some one is looking to make a packet.
Or am i just being and old cynic ?

Minley Manner would have been a better location for this surely? Especially given that the MOD are currently looking to sell it off.

Precious

Old-Salt
Civvies & soldiers in one centre?

I'd imagine for a service guy in those circumstance that continuity (military ethos and culture) would be very important on the road to rehabilitation/recovery. Having a civvie in the next bed, & his visiting mates showing natural curiosity in war injuries, and the 'did you kill anyone?' questions, would not be helpful imo.

But i might be wrong.

edit - just seen someone else say that the facility won't be shared.

Civvies & soldiers in one centre?

I'd imagine for a service guy in those circumstance that continuity (military ethos and culture) would be very important on the road to rehabilitation/recovery. Having a civvie in the next bed, & his visiting mates showing natural curiosity in war injuries, and the 'did you kill anyone?' questions, would not be helpful imo.

But i might be wrong.

edit - just seen someone else say that the facility won't be shared.
If they are not sharing it why the name change ?

Suspect, its now moving so that the erst-while residents of the S/E wont have to face wounded service personal, now that the War is over (almost). Paving the way for a complete cut to the meager funding that the Government pays for such services.

Thus swiftly returning us back to the days when they didn't give a toss about what soldiers did or did not do, so long as they didn't have to see them.

Headley Court is too small, expansion now has to be of a temporary nature, for example the Jubilee Centre (for complex trauma) has a 10 year life.

There are other issues, HC is on a hill with the majority of CT patients and therefore wheelchair users at the bottom.

HC was initial intended for they rehab of RAF Officers. The requirements placed on it have grown beyond what the estate can provide.

The new site is centrally located, closer to QE Birmingham and is not in Surrey.

If civvies are to use it then hopefully they will be kept separate from military.

I really don't want some stinking civvy whinging how much his stubbed toe hurts.

Mixing the two will poison the military ethos which is a very effective and required part of rehab.

If civvies are to use it then hopefully they will be kept separate from military.

I really don't want some stinking civvy whinging how much his stubbed toe hurts.

Mixing the two will poison the military ethos which is a very effective and required part of rehab.
Spot on.

auntie beeb said:
Headley Court is a Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre (DMRC), but Stanford Hall would be a Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre (DNRC).

The main difference between the two is that the expertise used to treat the service personnel would be used to treat the wider public, for example people who have been involved in car accidents.

Although I'm pretty sure the article I saw earlier (The Mirror I think?) said that there would be seperate wings for mil and civ patients in the new place.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs

How you getting on nowadays, Dingerr?

I've never seen any updates.

What's happening and how are you?

Latest Threads