Headley Court on the Radio

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Stonker, May 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DOCUMENTARY: Soldier's Haven
    On: BBC Radio Four (07)
    Date: Wednesday 6th June 2007 (starting in 17 days)
    Time: 11:00 to 11:30 (30 minutes long)

Simon Weston visits Headley Court, the military's primary rehabilitation centre for amputees where a number of casualties from Iraq and Afghanistan are currently being treated. He talks to three soldiers about their experiences in combat and in Headley Court and how they feel about the wars which left them with life-changing injuries.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1932

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

That link just gives me a dit about Digiguide....where did you see this gen Stonker ? is it on Beeb website somewhere ? Appreciate a link ?

3. 1. In digiguide.

2. Not yet. Soon I expect, perhaps here

4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

6. I will record it as MP3 file. Can post online for download here (beyond the BBC usual 7 days 'listen again' availability, that is) if there's demand -
    PMs pse.

7. Thanks for the tip Stonker that was good listen mate.

8. fecking humbling

9. These guys are giants among men.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

From an earlier recording:

Simon Weston talking to 29 Cdo Regt lad who has just told him his next ambition is to do the Spean Bridge Challenge - on his new prosthesis :

' well I take my hat off to you...you're a very impressive young man....'

Damn Straight ......and there speaks a man who has been through the mill himself and out the other side.....good bloke.

Le Chevre

11. Them brave lads have been on my mind all yesterday evening.

Considering their lifetime experience, sh!theads like caubeen and such like pale away.

Shame we can't make listening to that programme compulsory before posting on this website.

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

stonker,

the 'listen Again' link on the BBc's page here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/soldiershaven_text.shtml - gives some waffle about the Lancashire cotton industry.

While they respond to a request to fix it, if you can upload the file and host it somewhere as you said earlier, it would be very helpful.

Worth a pint at the London 10K picnic !

Cheers,

Le Chevre
    --

13. I worked at Headley Court for three years and even though I'm not clinical staff I felt proud to be doing the job I was doing, probably more so than at any other point in my career.

Very humbling was the way many of the patients dealt with the often terrible injuries they had, always looking on the bright side and those who would be able to return to operational service constantly pushing to get back with their mates.

I was saddened to leave the unit as it had a fantastic group of people doing some sterling and rewarding work.

14. Pint duly earned. Download the full prog in 4 parts HERE

15. Well done mate, I'm sure the people you worked with must have appreciated what you did, must be a good memory for them. Must have been immensely rewarding for you.

My skills are in my hands to create stuff but I have every admiration for anyone that has skills like you.