Headley Court Feasibility Study

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RMOO!, Jun 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't think H4H will be too pleased after investing millions into Headley Court.

The words partnership worry me- has the hallmarks of a PFI or by 'partnering' a view to save money.

See attachment

Attached Files:

2. This seems to be stretching the civilian healthcare angle beyond what most would see as the government's responsibility to honour the covenant.

Surely the health and rehab of mil pers should be partnered (where appropriate) with NHS bodies in the absence of dedicated mil facilities?

I also feel that the grouping of mil pers alongside others (irrespective of the type of injuries) defeats the object of Headley Court's dedicated service to the nation's mil pers.

Agreed - this reeks of PFI and the likes of BUPA creaming funds off for shareholders at the expense of those who Headley Court has cared for throughout the years.

"the potential for developing further the UK’s world class para-Olympic athletes" - fairly obvious that any crit of this scheme will be played out through the media as the mil not caring for para-Olympians - inclined to say that only those para-Olympians who were injured on mil operations should be treated in a facility alongside mil pers.

Yet another example of HMG's lack of understanding of the covenant.
  3. I've done a fair bit of fundraising for H4H and I emailed them yesterday, and they seemed to be unaware of the situation?! My local paper informed me of it yesterday as they had an MoD press release.
  4. I read the words "private benefactor" but no name. Why are they reluctant to be publicly named. If it is going to be the all singing all dancing site they describe surely they would want to be associated with its inception. If, and I note they say a lot of If's, it wil be a shame to lose the site, if only for its peaceful and glorious location, a boon to those staying and working there. Somewhere in the West Midlands would be hard pushed to beat this as a new build near to RDMC.
  5. They'll be selling off Headley Court as quick as you can say 'Chelsea Barracks'.
  6. This does seem to be at the root of relocation, one can only hope that the public will soon catch on to this.
  7. I didn't think that the MoD owned HC - isn't it gifted or leased?
  8. I think you are right DB :oops: however i sense that the dark forces are looking to move everything to Brumistan and then let it become civilian centric. i would hope to be completely wrong but ?
  9. Wiki said it was 'part of the MoD', purchased by an RAF charity... But who knows.

Either way it's costing too much, and they would prefer to house in a shiny plastic thing outside Birmingham built under PFI.
  10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Sounds like the next arrse campaign revving up.
  11. Before we get the outrage bus off the drive... it is only a feasibility study. I cannot see any changes happening, if at all, quickly. And precisely because of H4H and indeed the MOD's own investment in Headley of late, I cannot believe they will rush elsewhere unless the case for a move was absolutely watertight.

I think you will find that Headley was gifted to the nation but on condition that it is only used for RAF rehabilitation, so probably very limited options for MOD to make money from selling the site.
  12. That may be the case, but accepting the last 10 years of this Government and MoD, a healthy dose of cynicism and a watchful eye are not misplaced.
  13. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I've lost count of how many Feasibility Studies I've seen or been involved with, where their true purpose is to reinforce a decision which has been taken already.

And the number of camps / quarters / MOD facilities which are done up immediately before closure?

Call me a cynic if you like, but my hand is on the bus keys!
  14. Headley Court was purchased by the Institute of Chartered Auctioneers and Estate Agents who presented the estate to The Royal Air Force thro' the Air Ministry in 1946 to commemorate the Battle of Britain.
    Headley Court albeit a part of the Defence Medical Education and Training Agency still remains under the administrative umbrella of The Royal Air Force however, the command of the unit can be either Army or RAF on a rotational basis. Within the structure of DMRC are medical & rehabilitation divisions that cater for the needs of patients, a training and research element to improve military rehabilitation needs and a support division that is solely responsible for the smooth running of the unit.
  15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer