Headley Court and the Treasury

Found this on Hansards today. Fine when Quoting Treasury Government Accounting Rules to take a % off donations from the RBL. However also Fine to contribute at this stage nothing towards the new gym and fitness pool for injured military personnel at Headley Court. just let the forces Charity's pay for it. Oh can the Treasury have its % from the donations still??

please sign
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/servicecharities/#detail

Royal Military Academy: Army Benevolent Fund
Ann Winterton: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how much his Department charged the Army Benevolent Fund for hosting its Music on Fire event at The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in September 2006. [171350]

Derek Twigg: Each application for the use of Ministry of Defence land for fund raising or other purposes is considered on its individual merits and an appropriate system of charges is applied. A charge of £7,041.01 was raised against the Army Benevolent Fund for the use of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, for the Music on Fire event held in September 2006. However, using Treasury Government Accounting Rules this figure represents an abated amount of the full costs that could have been charged.

Armed Forces: Health Services
Sir Paul Beresford: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what contribution the Government have made to the appeal to build a new gym and fitness pool for injured military personnel at the Headley Court Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre in Mole Valley. [172709]

Derek Twigg: A new charity, Help for Heroes, with the support of a local business Arkenis, advised us in the summer of their plans to launch an appeal for funds to build a new rehabilitation complex, including a gym and swimming pool, at the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre, Headley Court. The project would provide a very welcome enhancement of existing
17 Dec 2007 : Column 1025W
facilities, which currently include five gyms and a hydrotherapy pool. We are working closely with the charity to establish how we can best blend their generous offer of assistance with existing plans for improving facilities at Headley Court, a site which is itself owned by a charitable trust. This is yet another example of the third sector complimenting the work of the public sector in providing support to our people by working together.
In other words, nothing

Had not realised that the Headley Court site was not owned by the MoD - but should have realised cos they would have sold it years ago!

£7k (presumably including VAT) Seems a cheap rent for a venue such as RMAS for a 3 day show.

A Stately home/English Heritage would cost £10 -£20k + Vat for a normal type show. However I'd imagine a heavy discount could be obtained for the Army benevolant fund.

However, if a Council/Government venue was hired I'd expect to pay £4 - £5k.

Value for money? Without knowing the fine details of the hire agreement I couldn't say, but I doubt it.

oldbaldy

LE
Sven said:
hasn't this already been done?
Maybe. But it seems a point worth repeating, don't you think?

Or have you got your, 'I must defend the Government by all means hat' on tonight Sven?

PS. For someone with an ****-fixation on capital letters, you could at least have the courtesy to use them when you're supposed to.

wooger said:
Had not realised that the Headley Court site was not owned by the MoD - but should have realised cos they would have sold it years ago!
They rent it from the Cunliffe family for a pepper corn rent of £1 a year.