Headache for U.S. military as $30 BILLION worth of equipment in Afghanistan starts to

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by singha61, Jan 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I expect we'll have the same headache with our kit.

It was always going to be a tough job - but the reality of how the U.S. will ship out $30 billion worth of state-of-the-art military equipment from Afghanistan is now starting to hit home.

Tens of thousands of weapons, tanks and artillery have to be taken out of the mountainous, landlocked country by the time U.S. troops end combat operations at the end of 2014.

And souring relations with neighbouring Pakistan, who have closed main transit routes, and its notoriously atrocious roads are creating major headaches for planners.
    A military official said: 'We have had 10 years of bringing things in, with none of it leaving.

'The stuff we have here is the very best the U.S. has ever produced. It's better than anything available (to military units) in the United States.'

'But the challenges of geography are enormous. I wish Afghanistan was a coastal country with a great port, but it's not.'

'I wish Afghanistan was a coastal country with a great port': Headache for U.S. military as $30 BILLION worth of equipment starts to be shipped home | Mail Online

Attempting to extract all equipment by air would be prohibitively expensive, although the costs can be reduced by flying kit to friendly ports in the region. Another option is to move through the north of Afghanistan.

Russia and its allies in the central Asian republics have been happy to help the Americans get into Afghanistan in the last decade to suppress Islamic militants they regard as a common threat. But the countries have not yet agreed to help the Americans leave and US diplomats are engaged in intensive negotiations to strike a deal.

The Isaf official said some of the central Asian states needed reassuring that a wave of drugs and other illicit goods would not accompany the removal of military kit, something they recall from the drawdown of Soviet troops before February 1989 when the last Russian troops quit the country.

It is all in stark contrast to the winding down of the US war in Iraq, a country blessed with a motorway network and a port in neighbouring Kuwait that was happy to be used as a US staging post.

US army's new Afghan nightmare

• Like Like x 1
  2. maybe if the septics weren't so cunty with Iran they could go out that way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have a distinct feeling someone is going to get very rich out of all this!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Buy shares in companies making det cord and C4.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  6. Whatever they leave behind it'll have been worth it. I mean we've achieved stacks there haven't we? There's no way the taliban will crush ANSF once we pull out.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Maybe that is why they are sabre rattling with Iran.

Saves shipping the stuff back to US. Just jump in and invade the next door neighbour.

Once your finished, drive on down to the Gulf and back home via Suez.

8. I take it you don't buy into the great 'We've brought democracy, peace, prosperity and and end to middle age feudalism to the Afghan people' message then.;P

• Like Like x 2
  9. I think the ANSF will revert to their previous state of being corrupt as **** who will turn a blind eye for a few dollars.

Sent from the thunder box on ARRSE app

10. Who?

11. Have you ever seen a US military Vehicle Park?

They tend to cannibalise the oldest vehicles to provide parts for the newer vehicles.

12. Wonder how many in Washington are flicking through the Ἀνάβασις or settling for The Last Centurion for inspiration.

13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

from that scurrilous website:

14. Weren't 79 closed down in the SDSR?

15. It's shame Durrand gave the coastal areas of Afghan to Pakistan.