Head torches help

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Subtleknife, Mar 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    I was just wondering how much to splash out on a head torch (with red filter) for RMAS as it's down on the kit list? I was wondering if a bog standard (with red filter) £10 one would do or if it is better to spend a bit more on a Petzl one (which I have seen recommended on here before)?
    I hope this is in the right part of the forum.
    Cheers for the help
  2. I'd say just spring the £30 for the Petzl one.

Petzl Tactikka Head Torch

You don't need the Plus unless you're planning on having a strobe-lit rave in your harbour area at 0400.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Not to hijack, but if one already has a half-decent headtorch (for climbing) that doesn't have a red filter, do we need to grab another or will a bit of red plastic and some bodging work ok?
  4. get an alpkit gamma if youve got the time
  5. Cheers for the advice.
  6. no, don't bodge- that headtorch will likely get properly beaten up, and it's worth having something reliable (but cheap- I picked up some rubbish for about a fiver a few years back). You only ever switch it on to watch orders in juniors anyway- get a decent one after you've been paid a few times. No bad thing having two headtorches anyway.
  7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've got a Petzl Tikka.

It's no better than any old shite you can pick up for a fiver in your local camping shop. Just get a cheapo one.

As for red filters, just use a red permanent marker or chinograph pencil to colour in the lens.
  8. I bet you feed your carpet commandos rat packs :) ya cheap bastard

Get the petzl, I've got em hanging around everywhere, never let me down
  9. I also had an e-lite. Used to keep it in my pocket all the time as a back-up/spare.
  10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I did actually purchase the red filter for mine.

One night I decided to use it on the bridge of a warship to fill out the log, instead of the usual Pusser's right angle, coloured in with red marker.

The ******* thing illuminated the entire place, trashing everyone's night vision. We spent the next ten minutes or so driving blind.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Seconded!

It's fairly pointless shelling out the best part of £50 for something that performs and lasts as long as an Aldi special.
  12. was this just off the Oz coast?
    Captain reprimanded over ship grounding | Mail Online
  13. I'm not gonna disagree outright, but my petzls last ages on the batteries, nowt has ever leaked or gone green, I've never managed to break any of them

And I've never blinded the bridge watch of a warship with one. In fact I use mine to go up to the bridge of the vessel I'm working on now (More whoreship than warship) at night. I just set it to low beam red and don't wear it on my head like a christmas tree fairy
  14. I keep loosing head torches, more often than not I do my map reading by the light of a mobile phone.....