Head torches help

Hello,
I was just wondering how much to splash out on a head torch (with red filter) for RMAS as it's down on the kit list? I was wondering if a bog standard (with red filter) £10 one would do or if it is better to spend a bit more on a Petzl one (which I have seen recommended on here before)?
I hope this is in the right part of the forum.
Cheers for the help

Not to hijack, but if one already has a half-decent headtorch (for climbing) that doesn't have a red filter, do we need to grab another or will a bit of red plastic and some bodging work ok?

no, don't bodge- that headtorch will likely get properly beaten up, and it's worth having something reliable (but cheap- I picked up some rubbish for about a fiver a few years back). You only ever switch it on to watch orders in juniors anyway- get a decent one after you've been paid a few times. No bad thing having two headtorches anyway.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've got a Petzl Tikka.

It's no better than any old shite you can pick up for a fiver in your local camping shop. Just get a cheapo one.

As for red filters, just use a red permanent marker or chinograph pencil to colour in the lens.

I've got a Petzl Tikka.

It's no better than any old shite you can pick up for a fiver in your local camping shop. Just get a cheapo one.

As for red filters, just use a red permanent marker or chinograph pencil to colour in the lens.
I bet you feed your carpet commandos rat packs :) ya cheap bastard

Get the petzl, I've got em hanging around everywhere, never let me down

I also had an e-lite. Used to keep it in my pocket all the time as a back-up/spare.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I did actually purchase the red filter for mine.

One night I decided to use it on the bridge of a warship to fill out the log, instead of the usual Pusser's right angle, coloured in with red marker.

The ******* thing illuminated the entire place, trashing everyone's night vision. We spent the next ten minutes or so driving blind.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I've got a Petzl Tikka.

Seconded!

It's fairly pointless shelling out the best part of £50 for something that performs and lasts as long as an Aldi special.

I did actually purchase the red filter for mine.

One night I decided to use it on the bridge of a warship to fill out the log, instead of the usual Pusser's right angle, coloured in with red marker.

The ******* thing illuminated the entire place, trashing everyone's night vision. We spent the next ten minutes or so driving blind.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
was this just off the Oz coast?
Captain reprimanded over ship grounding | Mail Online

Seconded!

It's fairly pointless shelling out the best part of £50 for something that performs and lasts as long as an Aldi special.
I'm not gonna disagree outright, but my petzls last ages on the batteries, nowt has ever leaked or gone green, I've never managed to break any of them

And I've never blinded the bridge watch of a warship with one. In fact I use mine to go up to the bridge of the vessel I'm working on now (More whoreship than warship) at night. I just set it to low beam red and don't wear it on my head like a christmas tree fairy

Highlander do a headtorch with sliding filters, I got one off ebay for less than a tenner. Its not fantastic but because the filter slides up and down it means you dont have to keep you fingers crossed that you will be starting off with red light, the alpkit gamma is great but they are prone to the battery compartment breaking, and you also have a one in 3.

chance of your light being white, green or red

this is the one I got.
HIGHLANDER MIRA LED HEAD LAMP TORCH OLIVE CAMO - CAMPING ARMY DPM BUSHCRAFT TENT | eBay

The Tikka Plus does have an advantage over the Tikka (in addition to aforementioned rave function) - it has three brightness settings, so that you can avoid blinding everyone. Although you do have to go through the brightest two settings to reach it, so cover with you hand whilst turning it on!

The red filters are only a couple of quid.