Head of the British Army "reserves are almost non-existent"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ABrighter2006, Jul 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC website banner - with more to follow.

Accurate statement or a dramatic headline?
  2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

We're stretched thinner than two Jocks fighting over a penny.
  3. msr

msr LE

Have you not been reading the TA forum for the last 3 years?

4. Or thinner than England's chances of winning the World Cup. On penalities. Against Portugal... :twisted:
  5. It's a fair cop MSR - I was using irony - give it ten minutes and I'll form an orderely queue with Ranters Anonymous!

The words "Reap what you so", "sign of the times" and "the government's support of the regular and reserve forces is farcical" spring to mind.

Be interested to see how big a story this is (where said, and to who) and how much impact it will make.
  6. msr

msr LE

7. In the memo, leaked to the Daily Telegraph, General Sir Richard Dannatt said the Army was undermanned because of operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

He also said vital equipment was being used "at the edge of sustainability".

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said the forces were working hard but the current situation was "manageable".

General Dannatt also said the Army has "almost no capability to react to the unexpected".

Why is there always some dickwad from the MoD who contracts what the CGS or anyone else says. SFTU
  8. Cow

Cow LE

Just been on news at 10, is this just an equipment/resupply issue or a manning issue do we think? (or bit of both?). Every one knows troops don't have enough recovery time. News of guys buying Med kit etc if true is showing some major holes that are going to only get very large very quick. Resupply is only as good as the reserves that are held.
  9. It will be covered on 'Newsnight' shortly.
  10. The 'reserve' has been deployed. There really is nothing left. See the threads in the TA forum ad nauseam

But at least this is now beng officially ackonwledged.
  11. Liam Fox (Cons Defence):

Well Liam, funding equals equipping, and this urgent need has been present for the best part of five years - some would say more. Maybe, with a more robust opposition to Labour's "management" of the Defence Budget, the UK military wouldn't have collectively, had the pizz taken out of it.
  12. Cow

Cow LE

Ok, so the reserve (TA) has gone. What is needed from what remains? Troop levels are due to reduce on Telic, roulmonts (Spelling) are in place, troops even if stretched know what they're doing. What is needed of the troops that are available? Surely this is just an equipment issue. Kit is wearing out, cannot be purchased quick enough.

If reserves are needed then why not call up reservists? No recall so far or am I wrong? I hope I am. Kit is easier to replace than troops.
  13. Because the ministery of truth within the media ops part of the MOD are mostly c0ckstand w^nkers

Thanks to the politicalization of the CS all news can only be good news.

The weakness of the general staff to tell the truth of the consequences of the last 2 defence reviews Versus's operational realitys.

The fact that the government are fight two wars with an extended airbrigde on a peacetime training budget, and have no real long term operational plan! Other than hope the Bad people stop!

The S of S for defence and his merry band are all profesional and complete cnuts.

No one listened to the sharp end of the TA or reserve's at all for the last 5 years +.

etc etc etc ...................... just makes me fcuking grrrrrrrrrl
  14. Maybe General Jackson should take time out of writing his £1m memoirs to explain why he signed up to fight a war on 2 fronts?

This crisis was so easy to predict, I cannot believe the current "Top Brass" have the temerity to stay in post.

CGS is the only senior officer to present a different point of view to his red rosette wearing, over-stretch denying, military colleagues. He is the only senior officer worth listening to.

As for Gordon Brown, it won't take the British people long to figure him out.
  15. They never figured-out T.B.Liar. They're too apathetic to do anything about Broon even if they get an inkling, and too far removed from the Armed Forces.