ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Head of French armed forces resigns over budget cuts row

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by QRK2, Jul 19, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't see anyone posting such sentiments on here, let alone Twitter, about any CGS or CDS of the 21st Century.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. So the French military show support for a general who protested against cuts that would affect the French military. Quelle surprise.

In other news priests show support for the pope's choice of hat

3. Thereby confirming the difference in both our respective cultures and sentiments. As you once again confirm your perfectly logical assumption that he would be sacked, why belittle him for making a ‘grand gesture’ for what he undoubtedly feels strongly about, and ‘cheapen' it by describing it as mere petulance.

The men serving under him would very probably not see it quite the same way as you.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Again, where did I say his move was petulance? As I've now said three times, once his comments were made public he had little choice but to resign. What I said was that, in general (as in, not talking about this instance) I think there is no honour in resigning because you disagree with cuts.

5. ...'in that situation'...I believe was reference to what the thread is about, though of course I may be mistaken.

6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

The axes that you're attempting, again, to grind against another member are becoming dull. Stop it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm afraid you are. It's a reference to a hypothetical in the discussion between myself and Stonker.

I made it clear on the first page of the thread that I don't think this is a petulant resignation:

8. Can't you two throbbers arrange a BBQ at which you can fill each other in or something?

9. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I believe car parks are the Arrse'ers venue of choice if I remember rightly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Why use a car park? I thought that this was an avenue of polite discourse, and, possible disagreement?

But you are the moderator.

• Like Like x 1
  11. In realtion to Macron, the inexperience of youth.

12. Quoi?

13. Indeed, Macron and his mother substitute, versus the General and a lifetime of protecting his country.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Reputations, dear boy, 3.0% of GDP is higher than the Nato Min of 2.0%. If the shit hits the fan his rep won't be smirched

15. Depending on what your GDP ifigure s for the size of the country I suppose.