ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Head of French armed forces resigns over budget cuts row

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by QRK2, Jul 19, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  1. I feel a tad embarrassed that the French are showing how it should be done. A cheese eating surrender monkey for the right reasons :)

• Like Like x 11
  2. Zoot allors!
    The Head shed will be in full "We can fight our corner far better by accepting cuts, trying to convince our subordinates that a 1% pay rise and rise in food and accomodation costs are a win, being more concerned with minority causes than the welfare of the majority and maintaining that retention issues are not a problem if we remain in our posts until our pensions and Board positions on Defence contract filling companies are secure.
    Rather than rashly showing some balls!" mode.

• Like Like x 22
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. You clearly don't understand 'Buggin's Turn'

• Like Like x 2
  4. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In fairness, he was somewhat forced into it. His comments from a private hearing were leaked to the press resulting in an invitation for a private discussion with Macron this Friday which probably would have ended with him being sacked.

I know we like our fantasies about VSO resignations every time a government decision goes against the armed forces, but I'm not convinced that a mass sign off over cuts is always the best way to fight our corner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Well, according to the BBC this morning some 85,000 troops are due to leave the army over the next few years.

I assume that this represents those leaving at the end of their careers as well as those signing off early.

Our leaders won't need to resign - with the general lack of new recruits they won't have much of an army left to lead in a few years. A couple of 1* should be able to cope with the main role of defending London...

• Like Like x 8
  6. Room 'shun! The CDS has entered the room!

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  7. In which case he lost nothing by his gesture and possibly gained, by both saving face, and more forcefully emphasising his point. A tactical win in a bad situation in some peoples book.

• Like Like x 7
  8. .....or, AKA "winning the battle but losing the war".

Asculum 279BC anybody?

9. In the 1960s, the Admiralty resigned pretty much en masse over the CVA01 decision. Nothing changed and they ended up being replaced.

Military resignations very rarely acheive much, and for this I am grateful. It otherwise implies that the Military have a means to influence and subvert the democratically elected Government policy decisions if they know that to threaten to resign could influence and alter the policy in their favour. I am glad this is not an option for them.

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. You know someone's going to google that battle. Me for instance. You horrid person.

• Like Like x 1
  11. If it was likely he would be sacked, and it was, the war was already lost. He simply salvaged what he could.

That did not require any googling.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Surely recruitment from the Commonwealth, the Brighton area and MOD co-operation on another 3 series of 'Our Girl' will make up any shortfall?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2

13. Well Minister, if you ask me for a straight answer, then I shall say that, as far as we can see, looking at it by and large, taking one thing with another in terms of the average of departments, then in the final analysis it is probably true to say, that at the end of the day, in general terms, you would probably find that, not to put too fine a point on it, there probably wasn't very much in it one way or the other. As far as one can see, at this stage.

Thank You Humphrey...

• Like Like x 2
  14. You have to admire the guy:

"Je ne me laisserai pas baiser comme ça"

Whereas the British version would probably be "Could you lube, just like you did at school please?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1