An old friend of Good CO said:
Head of (Corporate) Development

Reporting To CEO
Salary £40,000-50,000 (+ benefits)
Job Type permanent
Location Flexible with travel
Hours Monday to Friday - 37.5 hoursper week

Company Information

The Royal British Legion Poppy FactoryLtd is an independent charity which was founded in 1922 with theobject of providing paid employment opportunities for disabledex-Servicemen and women. A factory was established in Richmond tomake poppies and other commemorative items to achieve this purpose.The products are sold under special arrangements to ‘The RoyalBritish Legion (TRBL). Whilst the charity continues to provide paidemployment through its Factory for disabled ex-Servicemen and women;the charity also creates employment opportunities for wounded, sickand injured ex-Servicemen and women throughout the UK by way of workplacements and individual sponsorship through the SupportedEmployment Scheme. The new CEO is seeking to launch ambitious growthplans for the Supported Employment Scheme over the next five years.

Purpose of the role

This challenging role is responsiblefor high level networking and relationship development of corporateorganisations, to secure work opportunities for the SupportedEmployment Scheme. These relationships will then be fostered throughthe fundraising team. Whilst the priority of this role will toprovide work opportunities, it is expected that networking across thesector will provide additional leads for both clients and the charityalike.

Principal responsibilities
  • To develop networks and leads across multiple sectors with a view to creating employment and fundraising opportunities; to particularly engage with the Poppy Factory Trustees and the CEO to develop their networks
  • In addition to above to target corporate employers for the purpose of creating new employment opportunities and corporate social responsibility relationships (CSR) with a view to fundraising
  • To manage and deliver against projects relating to the employer growth of the Supported Employment Scheme
  • To develop employer models with corporate employers to support Poppy Factory clients
  • To create advocates of employers in order to bring on board new employer groups
  • To attend business development meetings with the CEO in addition to representing the CEO at meetings from time to time
  • Through networking to introduce potential business Vice Patrons to the charity
Skills & Qualities:
  • Previous Business development/Sales experience at a Senior Level OR transferable skills from HM Forces
  • Strong networking skills delivered with gravitas and humanity; evidenced by current networks
  • Confident, articulate communicator both spoken and written with strong interpersonal skills
  • Project Management skills, with the ability to lead across multiple company projects
  • Intelligent, naturally creative and ability to ‘think outside the box’
  • Experience of the charity sector would be advantageous
the hiring manager is Melanie Waters MelanieWaters@poppyfactory.org and is happy for applicants to come straight to her. Please check the date on this thread before you write to Melanie. If you're reading this in 2012 + you're probably too late!

I do so hope that stacker1 doesn't see this advertisement.

I get a tad irate when I see a 'rank ranged' civilan job. :-(

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I understand your point - perhaps (and I'm assuming you fall outside the range) you could apply for the job and prove them wrong.

I understand your point - perhaps (and I'm assuming you fall outside the range) you could apply for the job and prove them wrong.
Not my cup of tea but I'm sure there are many ex-Rankers and 'civvies' more than capable of smashing this job.

B

Biscuits_AB

Not my cup of tea but I'm sure there are many ex-Rankers and 'civvies' more than capable of smashing this job.
There probably is, but we wouldn't want some chippy little ****** from the Wive's Club representing the RBL Management now would we?

At £40-50k + (Benefits) (per Annum) to pay for a Head of (Corporate) Development it's clear they need to. That's a shit-load of poppies.
Calm down dear.... Stop dripping and do a bit of research before you fire up the Outrage Bus.

The Poppy Factory is a separate charity altogether: The Royal British Legion POPPY FACTORY

It does sterling work providing employment for disabled ex-Service men and women.

£40k-£50 - Sprat to catch a mackerel and all that.

B

Biscuits_AB

Calm down dear.... Stop dripping and do a bit of research before you fire up the Outrage Bus.

The Poppy Factory is a separate charity altogether: The Royal British Legion POPPY FACTORY

It does sterling work providing employment for disabled ex-Service men and women.

Not dripping and don't have a PSV. Honest question here...why do you have to be an officer to do this job?

I get that, but who are they kidding. No professional, and any decent qualified ex is, would get out of bed for that crap money in this day and age?

Not dripping and don't have a PSV. Honest question here...why do you have to be an officer to do this job?
You don't, I'd suggest that they would like an ex-service person and are targeting the advert at someone with the qualifications and skillset they perceive as appropriate - minimum degree qualified, good communicator, good networker, well developed business skills sort of thing, although how anybody fresh out of the mob is going to immediately have good corporate development skills in an area they are unlikely to be an expert in is beyond me, give them a year or two by all means. It doesn't make their perception correct and I suppose it could be just the old boys network at play! I'm Head of R&D in my company and ex Chief RN so no you don't need to have been an occifer to hold this sort of position......... money is crap too, no company car allowance and no private family medical care, I wouldn't take it..............

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yeah. This is maybe a discussion that should be conducted elsewhere but my mouse is broken so lets do it right here in the car park? Charities fall into two broad sectors.

1)The competent Big Boys.
2)The Poor But Worthy.

The competent (Oxfam and like that) really couldn't give a rats if someone on £50k a year cares about their outputs (thats small brown children, cats, dogs, whatever). They care about 'Are they the best BEST for the job'. Like any commercial outfit.

The Poor But Worthy (Nuneaton United Against Dog Shit In Our Parks) just care about fellow travelers. So Doris will be appointed Marketing Director because she sold advertising for Yellow Pages before she had the kids.

I have no problem with any of this. Actually, that is not strictly true. RBL has the size, the money and at the moment, the massive critical mass of public support. They are in the 1) category above so they should stop ******* about recruiting people by rank and see if Peter Mandleson is at a loose end.

RBL is not a church social in Methyr Tydville. So maybe stop acting like a Welsh vicar who only wants Church of Wales woman to do the flowers of a Sunday. Boyo.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To be fair to the the Poppy Factory the rank thing is not mentioned in the job description but by GCO in the title of the thread. Maybe that was on his advice to act as a filter or to attract the right sort. From the job description it's clear what they are after and that includes civis or anyone else with the relevant background.

As I said earlier: If you think you meet the requirements and you fancy the job then why not apply.

B

Biscuits_AB

You don't, I'd suggest that they would like an ex-service person and are targeting the advert at someone with the qualifications and skillset they perceive as appropriate - minimum degree qualified, good communicator, good networker...
Well that rules out the RLC and RMP then.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 2
Line_Grunt The Intelligence Cell 10
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 4