"he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother"

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by No.9, Oct 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [align=center]St. Crispians' Day, 25 October, 1415, near Agincourt[/align]

[align=center]”This day is called the feast of Crispian:
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
    And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'

Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember with advantages
    What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
    Familiar in his mouth as household words
    Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
    Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.

This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remember'd;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.”
    [/align]

[align=right]from Henry V - Shakespear[/align]

2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Good one - did you write it yourself, or did a friend assist you? Aah, just noticed the acknowledgement of authorship. Did you type it yourself, or did a friend type it for you? :D

A dissertation on "Who was Crispin/Crispian [or both] anyway, and why couldn't he spell his own name [or names]?" would add substance, methinks. :D

Raising a glass anyway (aaargh, that's 5 today already, and only a forthinghtishing-ish [couple of weeks] to Remembrance Sunday) to those very early bold soldier boys who were rather well led, quite motivated, seriously under-paid, occasionally rotovated, etc. etc.

Still, it taught Johnny Foreigner to mess with the Brits, as usual.

3. ‘Cobblers’ blue, Crispin AND Crispian were cobblers, evangelists and brothers. Martyred together, canonised together, and shared the same Saints day till the Church re-allocated it. :D

No.9
    ps, good to see an IO posting [​IMG]

4. Missed Agincourt Day, must getting old and slipping.
    We had a debate on it some moons ago after I had watched the 'Battlefield Dectectives' program.
    A tribute to the original small 'Band of Brothers'.
    john
    Always enjoy a good frog stuffing watched Ceaser doing the Gauls at Alesia, on BD.

5. Ahh.What more can anyone say?Especially they who never wore the uniform of their country?

6. Perhaps an ARRse calender? I personally remember key points of British history however we ought to draw more attention to Battkes and Battle Honours

7. blue-sophist

[quote="ps, good to see an IO posting" [/quote]

"IO" :?

8. 'Twas also Balaklava Day yesterday...

C Battery RHA (was a Troop back then) is the only unit involved that's not been amalgamated :(

9. Now that's a good idea... in a corner, on line... so we can see which victories fell on this day (and the merest smattering of defeats to keep us in check)... and then Arrsers in the know can gob off about them and the rest of us can learn. (Put me down to start a thread on Crécy day (26 Aug)... more than :D to share what little I know about that one.)

10. Ref Balaclava, ironic that on the day that we'd have been celebrating a badly-organised charge by the Frogs, they should step in and help us after ours?

"C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre"

11. Ah, but the 93rd had a good scrap, as did Scarlett's Heavy Brigade!

Incidentally, it was Capt J J Brandling, OC of C Troop RHA, accompanied by one of his Bombardiers, who went and recovered Nolan's body.

The BC of C Bty used to have a superb presentation sword on his office wall, given to Brandling in appreciation of his efforts on the day.

12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Nice idea, in a previous Unit of mine, we used to publish the Corps VC's on their anniversaries with a citation. Well the RAMC had so many.

13. ”an ARRse calendar”

Agree a great idea, but perhaps not as hard as setting the criteria for inclusion? For example, how small a battle gets included, does anyone arbitrate on which qualify, and, if it’s quite a lesser known battle should the contributor provided a footnote, and if so, does it go with the listing or get linked to elsewhere on the site?

john, interesting you mention Alesia as just like prior to Agincourt, both forces went though a phase of shadowing each other along a river, and both winners were the numerically inferior side.

No.9

14. blue-sophist

Listing initially based on Battle Honours (at least for the more recent centuries)? Is AARSE Admin willing to take on the mission, including abitration? Could be a rather large job, unless there's an extant listing somewhere else just begging to be plagiarised! :D